Rebuild of the "Pleaser Keezer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewBrewB

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I never quite got around to "finishing" my 'Pleaser Keezer' because I just wasn't happy with the design. It was just too darn tall. The collar was high enough so I could put kegs up on the shelf, but overall, it was just so big that it became a bit of an eyesore in our small house. Also, I never got around to fixing some issues with the coffin. The coffin wasn't tall enough, so I had to tip my glasses to pour a beer. Also, it hung-off the back which left a space that made it look very unfinished. Finally, the surface was just really rough, so it was hard to keep clean. I've decided to keep bottled beer on the shelf, CO2 on the floor behind it, and two kegs down in the bottom, and the whole thing should be significantly shorter. I also had a condensation/moisture problem where it would slowly build in the floor of the keezer. With the high collar, it was very difficult to clean the interior down to the floor.

So-far, I have removed all of the screws that were holding it together (very glad that I didn't use glue, initially).

I removed the collar and then re-attached the lid. I plan to rebuild the lid and tower with a modified design but for now, I will be working on the lower part of the keezer, which is mostly cosmetic.

Here are a couple of pictures for you voyeurs out there. The first was the former design and the second one is how my deep-freeze looks at the moment. Hopefully, I'll have something new to post, soon.

P6120066.JPG

PC210002.JPG

I made quite a bit of progress before taking more pictures. Anyway, like I said above, I started by removing the coffin, removing the lid, removing the collar, and then re-attaching the lid.

The previous design had an over-sized lid which dropped down around the base and I wanted to maintain that look.

I unscrewed everything, down to the rolling platform base. Then I started over, building up walls, this time with visible corner pieces. The platform has 3 walls, in the front and both sides of the freezer. The freezer just sits on the platform, and there is about a 1/2" gap between the walls and the freezer for venting. (I'm still skeptical if the freezer really needs to avoid overheating on the exterior side walls, but I accommodated for that anyway.)

I haven't started re-designing the top yet, but that will be next.

Overall picture of the keezer rebuild. Keep in mind, I have a long way to go before this will be 'finished.'
PC210002.JPG

The back, before painting. You can see how the lid and lower portion are not attached to each other.
PC230002x.JPG

The front, before painting.
PC2frontx.JPG

Well, I'm making progress so wanted to post some pictures. After another coat of paint, I'll remove the plastic from the bamboo. I've also started on the lid, as you can see. (Do we ever really have 'enough' clamps?) :)

PC280002.JPG

PC280001.JPG

PC2803x.JPG

Well, I am finally 'finished.' There are a few more things I want to do to it (extra coat of paint, some light sanding here and there, etc) but it is pretty-much "done."

Overall.JPG

Upper_Surface.JPG

Side1.JPG

Top1.JPG

Back2.JPG

One of us must be cheating off the other because that looks just like the keezer I just put together...

Hah! Great minds think alike. This is actually a re-build because I wasn't happy with it the first time and never quite got around to finishing it. Anyway, even though I'm locked-in to 2 kegs now, I have space to chill bottles of beer on the shelf.

I'd be interested in seeing yours if you can post a picture of it!

Apparently I can't quite figure out how to post pictures, but here's a link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58989229@N06/
I can get four Cornies in there, plus the CO2 with some room left over for some loose bottles. It's a little taller than I was originally shooting for, but I'm not complaining...

I'm pretty sure you have to be a member to post pictures... I'm planning on upgrading to a premium supporter. Would love to go straight to lifetime member, but dont know if i can justify dropping $125 on a forum membership right now.

Very nice though. I can't wait till i have the room to build a keezer...

Back