How does this look for a Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I'm hoping to do a Milk Chocolate Oatmeal Stout tonight, and was wondering what you guys think of this recipe!

4lbs 5oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
3lbs Light Dry Extract
12oz Oats, Flaked
8oz American Crystal 40L
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz American Crystal 60L
4oz Roasted Barley
3oz American Crystal 120L
2oz Dextrin (CaraPils) Malt

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Color
Black

Hops Schedule

Boil 60 mins 1.0oz Pearle
Boil 60 mins 1.0oz East Kent Goldings
Boil 30 mins 1.0oz Fuggles

Bitterness
13.0 HBU
37.6 IBU

yeast
Abbey Ale
ale yeast in liquid form with medium flocculation
Alcohol

6.4% A.B.V.

Calories
212 per 12 oz.

Also
End of Boil: 4 oz Lactose
Secondary: 2 weeks with two weeks powdered Chocolate

Looks good. I'd recommend getting a pound of lactose, so you can adjust the sweetness before bottling.

Secondary: 2 weeks with two weeks powdered Chocolate

I assume you meant two ounces of chocolate there. You may consider putting the chocolate in at the end of the boil or in the primary. More time for it to flavor your brew and more time for it to settle out. Cocoa powder gets quite sludgy.

I'd reccomend using cocoa nibs, I found them easy to work with, I've never used them in a boil, although I believe you can, but I have used them through secondary fermentation with good results

Put some cocoa nibs into some vodka for a couple of days to sanitize, and help release some flavor and then dump the nibs and vodka into the secondary. Works great, but remember to sample and make sure that you are getting the flavor profile you want. Once it tastes how you want it, leave it for a couple more days. The flavor will fade while aging and carbonating. By the time you drink the beer the flavor will be back to where you wanted it.

Ed

I assume you meant two ounces of chocolate there. You may consider putting the chocolate in at the end of the boil or in the primary. More time for it to flavor your brew and more time for it to settle out. Cocoa powder gets quite sludgy.

Yep, I meant two ounces.

Will two ounces be enough? And should I add the lactose into the fermenter or in the boil? Also, can I prime the bottles with lactose instead of other sugar?

Yep, I meant two ounces.

Will two ounces be enough? And should I add the lactose into the fermenter or in the boil? Also, can I prime the bottles with lactose instead of other sugar?

2 ounces is fine. You can add the lactose to either one just fine. Personally I would just add it to the boil to make sure it is sanitized, but it really does not matter that much. You can not prime with lactose since it is not fermentable by the beer yeast.

Ed

I used 9oz of chocolate added at the end of the boil in my Double Chocolate Oatmeal Snout recipe, but I wasn't just wanting a little chocolate... I wanted CHOCOLATE flavor. That beer is very chocolate forward and the only hops I used were 2oz of fuggles at 60 mins. 2oz of cocoa will give you a more subtle chocolate flavor than what I did.

I think the first choco stout I did I used around 6oz, the flavour was mellow, but nice, so I upped it quite a bit the second time around and it was even better. Never added to the boil though. ChshreCat, did they break up, or did you have to strain them after the boil?

Yeah, I made sure to specify since both powder and nibs have been in the conversation. They don't quite convert directly. :D

I want to use some cocoa nibs, but don't want to mail order them. Haven't found them locally.

That's a pity, I get mine at a health store in town, they seem to be catching on quite a bit, they are popular outside the homebrewing world!

Back