Fruit sanitizing options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
I am about to make my Blackberry Brown AG recipe, and have never used fresh fruit before in a brew. I did some research here, but want to pick a method I feel most comfortable with. I have frozen the fresh blackberries for about 2 weeks to break down the cell walls as I read here, and plan to add the crushed fruit to the primary after high krausen. I picked a sweet brown with mild ABV (~4%) to keep it from being dry from the additional alcohol boost the fruit will provide.

My sanitizing option for the fruit prior to crushing so far are:

- steeping in 160 degrees for 15 minutes
- Star San soak
- Vodka soak (not sure if this will affect the taste)
- RDWHAHB and just dump them in as-is

Any more ideas or tips? I want to make up my mind before this weekend so I can draw out my battle plans.

I actually would add fruit to the secondary, which seems to typically be the consensus for fruit brewers. This will allow for a better retention of flavors/aromas. It will also allow for a higher ABV to counteract any potential infection. Aside from that, the options you listed are the most practiced. Depending on who you ask, you'll get different responses. Everyone seems to endorse a different method, which works for them.

I, personally, just dump the thawed fruit in to the secondary and let the alcohol guard against any natural bugs the fruit could potentially contribute. Never had a bad batch with this method.

just freeze them to help facilitate the yeasties access to the juices, throw them in your carboy, and rack your beer on top after primary fermentation has completed.

No need to sanatize them.
Media_CardBlackBerrypicturesIMG00029.jpg

I lightly mash them with a potato masher. You just want to bust them up a little to let the flavor out, you don't want to shred the peel. If they are shredded too much, you get excessive tannins released.

I have a wheat that is going to be a cherry wheat farting away in my office right now.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back