Help - extract brew not complex

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrewing

Reaction score
So I've brewed two batches (extract kits) both from homebrewers outpost. My only complaint is that my beers aren't complex. Now you are probably wondering what I mean? Batches are not that hoppy, little malt flavoring. Tastes like it needs something badly. On my scale, it's a 5. What am I doing wrong? Are kits bought all the same? Need some help!

Move onto partial-mash brewing. It's a bridge between all-grain and extract. You do a minimash for more complexity, but rely on extract for about half of the beer. You'll also need to step up your yeast game and learn how to appropriately design a hop schedule.

I do a lot of small 3.5 gallon batches indoors with a full volume boil (also very important). I will typically use 40-50% grain, and the rest is Extra Light and/or Pilsen DME.

What are the ingredients in the kits and what type of beers have you made? It probably wouldn't hurt to explain your process as well.

Agreed. We could definately point you in the right direction if we knew the style beer you were attempting and the indredients in the kit. Depending on what that looks like we can examine your process.

I disagree that you that you need to step up to partial mash for complexity. Great and complex beers can be brewed full extract w/steeping grains. Good recipe, solid process, and fresh ingredients are the biggest requirements.

I've found that steeping 2lbs of specialty grains in 3 gallons of water for 30 minutes helps prevent that thin taste.

Good. I brew extract, partial mash, and all-grain beers almost every 3 weeks in addition to being a full-time professional chef. I would say perception of complexity is a highly subjective thing and that extract beers, while good with proper process, are also the least complex of the bunch... by far. It's like making lemonade with powder and comparing it to real lemonade. Not extremely different, but definitely noticeable...even if you garnished the powdered version with real lemon slices. That said, I make and drink powdered lemonade myself... though I would never call it complex or submit it into a competition.

Just out of curiosity, I peeked at their website and clicked on the instructions for their American IPA (not one of the Brewers Best kits). I must say that in my opinion the particular set of instructions that I read through are typical of kit instructions in that they will get you beer, but not the best beer. I did feel that some parts of the instructions were just plain bad process. For instance they tell you to steep your grains until boil. That is a no-no. You should not let the steep exceed 170* or risk tannen extraction (water boils @212*).
Moral of the story, with more info there is much room for improvement.

I disagree that you need to go all the way to partial mash. I do recommend however, to steer clear of the "brewing ingredient kits"... do a bit of research on-line and piece together a recipe and buy the ingredients separately. Some of the kits use substandard ingredients to save on cost.

I can say that I have no experience with my own PM or AG, but I have made more complex beers with extract/grains than other AG brews I have had... Professional chef or not a palate can be refined through training and I am confident in mine... I just chose a slightly more profitable profession as a job

Well if extract beers are more complex than your own all-grain recipes, I feel VERY sorry for you. Don't quit that day job!

Back