To those of you with NG and Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evandena

Reaction score
I'm in the final phase of my build, and I'm starting to plan out the natural gas piping. I've added the black pipe in my garage, and am ready to add a quick disconnect. Female QD on the end of my black pipe, no problem there.

My original line of thinking was to have two sets of QDs, one by the garage wall, one on my stand. This would leave the hose to have to male ends.

Is this what is normally done, or do you do normal threads with pipe dope for the stand, and leave the hose attached? I don't see a problem with spooling it up after each use and leaving it with the stand. Is it worth saving the money for a second set of QDs?

What do you guys do?

I found that "real" quick disconnects and required hose to be prohibitively expensive but i also needed about 25' of 3/4" hose. The proper hose has a stainless steel inside so if you step on it or roll over a piece of equipment it dose not suddenly cut off the gas (extinguishing the flame) and them release it pouring gas into the room.

Do you remember in chemistry class in high school how to hook up the burner? Basically there was a port in the middle of the table with a hose barb and a valve that a length of plain tubing was pushed over. I in no way would ever do something similar to that. I would also never buy some 3/4" brass "push on" fittings 91465K26 from mc master and spin them in the lathe so that a 3/4" mine safety rated hose 5283K155 could be used for the purpose.

sorry i could not be more helpful

hey OHG, what's a safe minimum distance to keep my NG black pipe away from my banjo burner? I'm debating how I want to mount the gas line to my frame, and ideal solution brings the black pipe within 6 inches (at an angle) from the burner.

Just use a heat shield and keep the pipe low to the ground. I ran my black pipe right behind my burner stands and with the heat shields on the back it stays out of harms way.

Is your pipe below the burner? Heat rises.
Does your propane tank get cold? The gas in the pipe is cold too...

OneHoppyGuy said:
Is your pipe below the burner? Heat rises.
Does your propane tank get cold? The gas in the pipe is cold too...

Using NG. I understand heat rises... Guess its not a big deal then. Thanks

Back