What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cooked with beer today, while putting together a grain bill for a simple blonde that I'm brewing later tonight. I've also had 1 or 2 while cooking.

Removed the platic wrappers off of 100 Guinness bottles, popped the cap off of an English Bitter, poured it into a glass, then lifted the glass to my mouth.

I drank the first glass of my all-grain Octoberfest with a 'C' Ale in honor of this lovely fall weather we have been having.

Lovely fall weather? Man you're lucky. I live in the Florida Gulf Coast near Pensacola. It's more like spring with summer heat than fall. Rain and thunderstorms every day here for the past couple of months with highs in the 90's. I really... REALLY need to move away from here. Somewhere between August heat-rain-hurricane season... and September winter will do.

Lovely fall weather? Man you're lucky. I live in the Florida Gulf Coast near Pensacola. It's more like spring with summer heat than fall. Rain and thunderstorms every day here for the past couple of months with highs in the 90's. I really... REALLY need to move away from here. Somewhere between August heat-rain-hurricane season... and September winter will do.

Leaves are changing already in Maine

Shut the front door! I'm about as far north as you can go in Michigan and its beautiful and 82 out right now.

Shut the front door! I'm about as far north as you can go in Michigan and its beautiful and 82 out right now.

IMG_29307158645010_Hagrid_zps8ffaa57e.jpg

Taken yesterday.

smccarter said:

I'm talking about a three day stint...I'm in NW Alabama.

Connected the power supply to the heating element for my Brewhardware RIMS tube, bought and installed various switches and lights to the RIMS control panel, pounded the dents out of my new Barley Crusher.

I labelled the Neirra Sevada that I bottled last night.
Then I rearranged my beer cupboard so they would fit in.
Then I wondered where the hell I was going to put my next batch.
Then RDWHAHB

realized that bottling beer has become my demise. I hate it. I'm in the process of preparing my first carmel apple hard cider and decided to bottle. (my keg equipment is currently in transit to my door step) washed bottles, prepped the carmel sauce. screwed up and didn't sanitze the bucket I was racking into, because of the damn bottles. Ive had to clean them twice now, due to anal retentivness. but tonight I will bottle for the last time. my keg stuff should be here by the end of the week. i'll pasturize in 4 days, and smash evry empty bottle I own, in glorious satisfaction.

realized that bottling beer has become my demise. I hate it. I'm in the process of preparing my first carmel apple hard cider and decided to bottle. (my keg equipment is currently in transit to my door step) washed bottles, prepped the carmel sauce. screwed up and didn't sanitze the bucket I was racking into, because of the damn bottles. Ive had to clean them twice now, due to anal retentivness. but tonight I will bottle for the last time. my keg stuff should be here by the end of the week. i'll pasturize in 4 days, and smash evry empty bottle I own, in glorious satisfaction.

I'd keep the bottles if I were you, I keg but I still have enough bottles to do about 30 batches or so. Plus I bottle using a beer gun most of the time

realized that bottling beer has become my demise. I hate it.

You're not alone. I just focus on the return. I prefer bottle conditioned beer. I own a freezer with temp control and six kegs, but I never use them. I've been "planning" to break the kegs down and get them ready... and to build a keezer... just haven't done it.

First wash is in the dish washer, so that's not so bad. Sterilize on my bottle tree... one case left, one right, alternate between the two. I can sterilize 58 bottles in under 10 minutes. That's not the part that kills me. It's the actual filling of the bottles. Way too slow.

One thing I've been thinking of is to build a better bottling system. One bottle at a time is just too slow.

You're not alone. I just focus on the return. I prefer bottle conditioned beer. I own a freezer with temp control and six kegs, but I never use them. I've been "planning" to break the kegs down and get them ready... and to build a keezer... just haven't done it.

First wash is in the dish washer, so that's not so bad. Sterilize on my bottle tree... one case left, one right, alternate between the two. I can sterilize 58 bottles in under 10 minutes. That's not the part that kills me. It's the actual filling of the bottles. Way too slow.

One thing I've been thinking of is to build a better bottling system. One bottle at a time is just too slow.

1/2 inch bottling wand? Still 1 at a time but much faster

Seriously, clean the kegs and get the keezer set up, it's soooo much better than bottling - you could naturally carb the beer in the keg and let it condition that way, it would be closer to bottle conditioned beer, and save you CO2 in the process.

as for what I did for beer today; I pulled a pint (o.k. a few) of my SMaSH Blonde out of my keg.:ban:

Added my bells reclaimed yeast to the six gallons of IPA I finished late last night. The wort chiller almost got me there, but I had to let it sit in a cool bath to get it down to pitch temperatures. Just got too tired.

Later, I'm gonna finish the imovie I made documenting my brew process...having fun with that. And I'll drink a Foothills People's Porter. Or three.

Picked up the Roeselare yeast I need for the Oud Bruin I'll be brewing tomorrow. Stepping into the world of sour beer! :ban:

Opening a few after the set of ultra high perf tires my son gave me as a anniversary present got mounted on my car. He paid for that too.

Pulled my first glass from my first all grain try, a Belgian dubbel. Hope this is what it is suppose to taste like. Not to bad.

Based on the message from CloverBrew yesterday....

I bought a new bottling bucket and an extra spiggot. Bought a 2nd bottling wand and created an extremely fast dual bottling system. Two at a time. I ran through a test run and bottled 96 bottles of water in about 15 minutes. Didn't cap or package them of course, but man what a difference. Should make bottling day much easier.

As for the kegs. To each his own I suppose. I really prefer bottle conditioned beer. Not to say that I'll never use the kegs again, but bottles are my preference.

I found these poor lost souls, senselessly abandoned in a dumpster behind a restaurant that is under construction. Some soap and water, new seals, and a little TLC, and they will be ready to take on their new life of dispensing the nectar of the gods.

image-3791761418.jpg

kscarrington said:
I found these poor lost souls, senselessly abandoned in a dumpster behind a restaurant that is under construction. Some soap and water, new seals, and a little TLC, and they will be ready to take on their new life of dispensing the nectar of the gods.

Wow talk about going diving in the right dumpster. Good job man that's great.

kscarrington said:

What?!? Are those 10 gallon?

Just happened to be at the right place at the right time. I was actually checking dumpsters for a stolen purse. Unfortunately I didn't find the purse, but came across those other 2 beauties.

Dave37 said:
Wow talk about going diving in the right dumpster. Good job man that's great.

Thanks, I thought so, too! Both were empty, both hold pressure and dispense, however one lid is mangled up and won't hold pressure. I'll keep working on bending it back into shape. If the most maintenance I have to do is to buy a new lid, then I'm OK with that.

TNGabe said:
Still a very nice score!

What I did for beer today? We're so sorry,uncle Albert...but we haven't done a bloody thing all day. We're so sorry,uncle Albert...but we're so easilly drawn away!...:ban:

kscarrington said:
Thanks, I thought so, too! Both were empty, both hold pressure and dispense, however one lid is mangled up and won't hold pressure. I'll keep working on bending it back into shape. If the most maintenance I have to do is to buy a new lid, then I'm OK with that.

Even if you dont nees two more kegs u could always fix em and sell em for $$ you could use to buy something you do need or want in your setup. I e more grain hops and yeast! :tank:

kscarrington said:
thanks, i thought so, too! Both were empty, both hold pressure and dispense, however one lid is mangled up and won't hold pressure. I'll keep working on bending it back into shape. If the most maintenance i have to do is to buy a new lid, then i'm ok with that.
n

I went off the grid and purchased ingredients for my first "non-store bought kit" AG brew. It will be a small batch Belgian Tripel, to be brewed this weekend. Wish me luck.

Oh, I also bought a bench corker/capper. Thank you Craigslist.

Bottled 10 gallons. Surly Cynic Clone, and a German Alt. Both NB all grain kits.

Tasted both... very nice indeed. Should be a couple of nice beers.

Popped the cap off of a couple of ESBs, poured them into a glass (each individually), and raised the glass to my mouth.

That's what I did for beer today.

I worked, then drank, then drank some more. I was hoping to brew today, but no such luck. Maybe this weekend...

Hooked up the CO2 to my new conical and cranked the temperature down to cold crash my first brew in my new conical. Exciting.

realized that bottling beer has become my demise. I hate it.

Bottled 10 gallons last night. Start to finish about 1.5 hours. Still not the most enjoyable chore, but the new bottling bucket has made a big difference.

I bought a bucket with a spiggot. Bought a 2nd spiggot, 2 3' lengths of tubing, and 2 bottling canes. Drilled a 2nd hole in the bucket and added the 2nd spiggot. Attached tubing and canes. Bottled 2 at a time instead of one.

Very simple fix, easy to work with as well. Just start one to the half point, start the second. Watch the first until full, move to another bottle, watch the 2nd until full, move to another bottle, watch the 3rd... etc...

Bottled 10 gallons last night. Start to finish about 1.5 hours. Still not the most enjoyable chore, but the new bottling bucket has made a big difference.

I bought a bucket with a spiggot. Bought a 2nd spiggot, 2 3' lengths of tubing, and 2 bottling canes. Drilled a 2nd hole in the bucket and added the 2nd spiggot. Attached tubing and canes. Bottled 2 at a time instead of one.

Very simple fix, easy to work with as well. Just start one to the half point, start the second. Watch the first until full, move to another bottle, watch the 2nd until full, move to another bottle, watch the 3rd... etc...

So glad I spent some of my deployment money on kegging equipment years ago and have never had to bottle anything. Bottling does not sound fun at all...

My bottling experience is limited to six bombers of Apfelwein straight from secondary using my autosyphon as I was transferring to a keg...

Xtant said:
So glad I spent some of my deployment money on kegging equipment years ago and have never had to bottle anything. Bottling does not sound fun at all...

My bottling experience is limited to six bombers of Apfelwein straight from secondary using my autosyphon as I was transferring to a keg...

I would probably brew twice as much if it weren't for bottling.

On the other hand, I can't drink as much as I make now....

I'm working out the plans on when the next brew day is. Got it narrowed down to a few based on when the in-laws are leaving (which is currently a moving target :smack:).

Back