Milled grain shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolshark021

Reaction score
I have 2 different bags of grains that were milled and vacuum sealed about 2 years ago. Is there any chance they are still good? They have been stored in a cool dark basement the whole time and I am positive they are sealed air tight.

I have some extra yeast already I could use to brew with. All I would have to buy are a few ounces of hops. I'm thinking I might just brew them up and see how they turn out. Worst case it's total crap and I'm out a few bucks in hops.

Your thoughts?

Just brew it see what happens. People ask me how long does your beer last I always say well it depends how much I drink. I have never had anything go stale.

good advice sdm, but as far as an answer: vacuum sealed keeps it good for a long time. i'd bet it's a little weak right now, but still fine. i might use a little extra (maybe 1/2 lb), but that might not even be necessary. result of that if wrong? .25% higher alcohol :D

4 weeks ago brewed up an Irish Red with some milled grain I had from the summer. I wanted to use up all the grain I had on hand before starting on new 55lbs bags.

The grain was stored in sealed bags in a dry stable container for over 4 months... so far the beer tastes great, but YMMV.

Taste it and see if it has the flavor you'd expect, also checking to make sure it is not rancid.

The only reason I ask is because I called AHS (I bought it from them 2 yrs. ago). Of course they told me it was no good, I should just ditch it and buy some more. I'm just going to brew it and see what happens. If the first batch turns out crappy I won't bother with the second. I'm also going to add 1/2 lb. of fresh 2 row like lumpher suggested to help make up for any stale grains.

Back