Confused on when/where to modify mash/sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interplexr

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but I've always been a bit confused about when and where I should be modifying my water chemistry. I think I have a pretty good handle on what additions do what and why but I am just a confused as to when to add things.

For my mash water adjustments would I add everything to the water as I heat it prior to mixing with the grain? Would you add say gypsum differently than epsom salt? For my spare water adjustments would I add everything during the boil or again to the water I'm heating for the actual sparge?

I usually throw the mash additions in with my crushed grain and mix prior to putting the grain in the tun -- I put my boil additions in the kettle prior to starting my boil.

I don't know how much (if any) difference it makes wether your add the salts in the MLT water prior to adding the grain, but i've heard it mixes better if added to the dry grain first -- maybe someone can confirm or debunk that.

Back