Dunkel recipe with Kölsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phasedweasel

Reaction score
I found this recipe in the database, and I have a few questions on it:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f60/ag-chainsaw-brewing-death-dunkel-30449/

It says mash at 165°, which simply has to be too hot, that would kill the enzymes. Can anyone clarify?

Also, it uses Kölsch yeast at 70° fermentation - is this not a bit warm? How does it behave? I am interested in a nice, clean fermentation as close as possible to lager characteristics, and I can cool down to about 60°. However, I don't have much experience with this yeast and some people have reported strange flavors when using it for an Oktoberfest-esque ale, which seems to me a similar kind of beer in that they're both clean and depend heavily on Munich for a base malt.

Thanks for all of your insights!

Mash at 165 = trainwreck
Ferment with Kolsch yeast = BIGGER train wreck
Make a dark , malty beer with Kolsch yeast = EPIC train wreck

Thanks for the input. I've only used Kölsch yeast so far to make, well, Kölsch's. Do you have any recommendations for a mash and yeast for non-lager temp dunkel? I would guess to mash lower for fermentability, as it's not supposed to be sweet. I would also guess some kind of a very clean, well attenuating ale yeast, but I've not really worked with any before, I've leaned toward English and Belgian beer in the past.

The author may have been referring to the strike water being 165 so that when you dough in, the grist brings the temp down into the lower 150 - 155 range for the mash. At least I hope thats what he means.

Thanks for the input. I've only used Kölsch yeast so far to make, well, Kölsch's. Do you have any recommendations for a mash and yeast for non-lager temp dunkel? I would guess to mash lower for fermentability, as it's not supposed to be sweet. I would also guess some kind of a very clean, well attenuating ale yeast, but I've not really worked with any before, I've leaned toward English and Belgian beer in the past.

Mash at 150 or so

German lager yeast, many of the strains will be fine. You'll need lots.

S-189 and S 34/70 (dry yeasts) both make good lagers

yes, i heat the strike water to 165, which gives me a mash temp of around 150-155. i apologize for that typo/confusion.

as far as the train wreck stuff, that's opinions. all i can say is that i've made this recipe, using that yeast, fermenting at those temps, at that amount of time, etc. etc. all EXACTLY like the recipe/post say, and it's delicious, very, very close to warsteiner dunkel, and i have to brew it at least once a month, and usually i just transfer out of the primary into the keg, and then brew immediately, and rack the new wort directly onto the yeastcake, because the stuff get's drunk by myself, my wife, and my friends almost as quick as i can brew it. you can either try it, or not, it's up to you. but i can attest, as being the one that made the recipe, and has brewed this beer many, many times, just like the recipe/instructions i typed say, that it does taste amazing, and is well worth it.

Latest posts

Back