Can I pull off an IPA in a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidehouse

Reaction score
I want to have an IPA for a party on july 31st and plan to brew it this weekend. It'll be 9ish lbs LME 4 oz hops and wl005. I plan to make a starter to get things going, 1/2 gal growler big enough? My basement is about 66F right now. Think this is enough time? EDIT: Oh, and i'll keg and force carb

If you keg it's plenty. If bottle conditioned, figure about 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 in the bottle.

You bottling or kegging? If you're bottling, it'll be a little young.

I'd used WLP001, much cleaner and would need less time to loose any off flavors from the yeast.

Yes, I've done a couple IPA's that were drinkable and very good at around 4 weeks. I'd say just don't go too high gravity

Depends on the OG and the type of hops. It should be doable, with the right ingredients. I'd stay away from "harsher" hops like chinook, and use hops like amarillo, cascade, centennial, and maybe simcoe for an American IPA (I've never had simcoe when it's really young, but I'm assuming it'll still work).

An English IPA should be fine, since those hops aren't very harsh even when young.

Honestly I don't recall making a starter for either of those beers. The Harpoon IPA clone I did, I used a Wyeast 1272 smack pack without a starter and went from 1.060 to 1.012 and in the keg in 3 weeks. It is probably the best beer I have ever brewed.

Thanks, how about the starter size? 1/2 ok or overkill?

1/2 gallon (2000 ml) starter should be OK. 9 lbs of LME in a 5 gallon batch is probably gonna put your OG in the 1.065-1.070 area so you want a good starter. If you are using a stir plate you could probably get away with a 1000-1500 ml starter. With no stir plate the 2000ml is a decent bet with the heavier gravity.

I'd think you want about 2 cups of LME or DME in the starter of 1/2 gallon (OG about 1.040), and pitch it in the wort near peak activity which will be in the 24-36 hour range I would think.

The beer should be drinkable at 4 weeks, but is going to be a bit young. It would get better if it had another couple weeks to age.

Personally, I would consider brewing something that doesn't need as much time to come of age. An IPA at 4 weeks will probably be a touch harsh on the hops bitterness and will taste a bit green. Hefe's are good summer brews and I think you could have a decent one ready by 07/31.

Just my $.02

I did a double IPA with a starting OG of 1.070 and about 115 IBU's worth of hops. That was three weeks ago and I'll be drinking it on Saturday. I put it in primary for a week, dry hopped when it was done fermenting, left for an additional 7 days, and kegged last weekend. It will be ready by this Saturday easily. You'll have plenty of time if you plan on kegging it.

Another thing most people have pointed out is it will taste pretty harsh. The hops haven't had time to mellow yet, but that's what I like it my IPA's. I'll be hooking it up to my Randall and throwing another 3oz. of Centennial in it.

It's actually more like 5-5 1/2 weeks away. I want some kind of pale to go with my dry stout. I'm making black and tans for my dog Quinlan's birthday.

tday2xmas016.jpg

He will be turning 3. (That's 21 in dog years)

Back