Hops Group Buy in Chicago #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ghoti - Can you reset my PW? I get a 404 when I click Forgot PW.

just go use the utility on /grain to reset your password. I have not had a chance to move that functionality over yet.

Art..beautiful job...this rocks...now that I have it playing nice in the sandbox.

What happens to the secondary orders if the original person bails, does the order then revert, or does it transfer to another user?

Wow.. split system is AWESOME...

I have taken one of the fuggle split and added a new item of Hallertau split by 12
(larger time!)

Do we need to check availability some where? (I went off the spreadsheet)

Very nice ghoti.

I took a bunch of splits... :) Along with the grain I should be well stocked for a while.

Art..beautiful job...this rocks...now that I have it playing nice in the sandbox.

What happens to the secondary orders if the original person bails, does the order then revert, or does it transfer to another user?

There is no concept of a user in control of a split. If the original person bails it just frees up their amount back into the pool.

ghoti has really outdone himself. very nice simplistic yet very functional database. I think he deserves more home brew guys.

ghoti said:
There is no concept of a user in control of a split. If the original person bails it just frees up their amount back into the pool.

Beautiful....but then who pays for the whole of it. Then I assume we back to a fund-pool setup for payment?

Beautiful....but then who pays for the whole of it. Then I assume we back to a fund-pool setup for payment?

Each person will just be responsible for their pieces of the splits. Before since we did not have the option to split in the app one person put it down on their order and paid for it. Now that we have it in the application it is easier to see who ordered what and just manage the payment once.

I just wanted to add my compliments on the database... so simple. In on 6 splits right now. Need to walk away for a bit before I get out of control. I'm like a kid in a hop candy store right now.

I have a phone call in to our regional rep asking if I can send our current list to check on availability.

bmason1623 said:
ghoti has really outdone himself. very nice simplistic yet very functional database. I think he deserves more home brew guys.

This^. If ghoti keeps it up he may never have to brew again.

Guys, before opening up new splits try to use the existing ones. Below is an example of two splits of the same hop with plenty availability for each split.

7 NZ NELSON SAUVIN - New Zealand 3 out of 11
8 NZ NELSON SAUVIN - New Zealand 1 out of 4

bmason1623 said:
Guys, before opening up new splits try to use the existing ones. Below is an example of two splits of the same hop with plenty availability for each split.

7 NZ NELSON SAUVIN - New Zealand 3 out of 11
8 NZ NELSON SAUVIN - New Zealand 1 out of 4

I'm one of them, i started and took 4 lbs...didn't work with the other, this is likely to happen with splits not based on lbs.. but rather fractionals

I think the issue there is someone split 11/4 and another person did 11/11. Do we want folks to do splits by 11 and up their quantity?

Each person will just be responsible for their pieces of the splits. Before since we did not have the option to split in the app one person put it down on their order and paid for it. Now that we have it in the application it is easier to see who ordered what and just manage the payment once.
This is awesome..

I think the issue there is someone split 11/4 and another person did 11/11. Do we want folks to do splits by 11 and up their quantity?

I think we should keep it at 1 pound increments. $0.02

I think for hops buys it is better to default to 11. I want in on the Simcoe, but I don't want 3.67 pounds of it on the open order.

bmason1623 said:
I think we should keep it at 1 pound increments. $0.02

I'll throw in another .02 and make that .04, just makes life easy, and in he event we get a 4x11 of a variety, the 44 lbs is a little cheaper in some cases.

I can eventually build that into the app to look for type when determining the number of time it will let you split, as grain splits will be a pain if we limit it on 1lb.

So for right now if everybody can just split by 11 that would be great.

I think for hops buys it is better to default to 11. I want in on the Simcoe, but I don't want 3.67 pounds of it on the open order.

I'll second that, I'd be in for 1lb of simcoe, but 3.67 is overkill for me. Can we reconfigure that split?

I'll second that, I'd be in for 1lb of simcoe, but 3.67 is overkill for me. Can we reconfigure that split?

We can delete that one, but everyone on that split would need to get in on another simcoe split.

Quick question, or two...

Do the hops come portioned out in pound packages or is someone physically splitting them?

Is there an ETA?

Thanks

George

I believe it will come in one big 11 pound bag, and folks will have to split the hops when they pickup. At least that was how it was handled last time.

ghoti said:
I believe it will come in one big 11 pound bag, and folks will have to split the hops when they pickup. At least that was how it was handled last time.

I believe you are correct or a big ole 44 lb bag...there are a few folks, myself included that have foodsaver vac sealers I will let/help others use during the pickup.

I believe you are correct or a big ole 44 lb bag...there are a few folks, myself included that have foodsaver vac sealers I will let/help others use during the pickup.

Should we bring some bags for our own hops and some to share, and if so what type... or is a few bucks to "the baggers" sufficient?

I'd say bring some gallon zip locks and when you get home, do whatever you normally do. I have the vac seal bags, they are not expensive but they're not cheap either.

Zythos is a blend of what varieties, suppose I could look it up if no one is certain.

It's not really a blend of anything. It's pretty piney/floral with some mild citrus (orange) in it - that's what I got from it. Had a homebrewed double IPA with it recently (all Zythos) and it was pretty great.

It is a blend. here's the release from Hopunion. From Morebeer:

So what are the flavors? MoreBeer! went right to the source and interviewed our friend Will Harrison of Hopunion who led the team that developed the Zythos hop blend. He has this to say "I get lots of citrus and tropical fruit notes. The hop was blended to get a little of everything in one pellet. We went for citrus, tropical, pine, and spicy as the main flavors in that order. It also has some experimental varieties to make it more complex".

also see this thread at probrewer.com

Whatever works best for you, zip locks, seal-a-meal. Regardless, I will bring a sealer and others are more than welcome to use it. The sealer is a Foodsaver 3800 series, pretty standard, it can use premade bags or the roll.

Thanks for the zythos links..BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back