First Lager Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
SO I've just finished brewing my first lager using the Bavarian Lager yeast, its currently sitting at 50deg and has been so for two days. Any advice on scheduling?

How long should I sit it at 50?
Should I drop the temperature?
When should I transfer to secondary?
Should I drop the temperature durring secondary?
How long should things sit in secondary?

I have all the time in the world and a temperature controlled fridge and I'm trying to make the best lager I can.

What I do for any lager is to let the ferment go until you see the krausen drop and then raise the temp to about 60f until it is finished. I do a diacetyl rest wheather it is needed or not as it don't hurt to do one. Generally for me this takes 3 weeks to get to the point of actually racking.
Rack to secondary and drop the temp 5f a day until you get to 34f and lager for at least a month. Then if you want/need finnings add them, let them do their work, and either bottle or keg when ready.

Wow, looks like boo boo and I make our lagers about the same!:mug:

Except I usually am able to rack to secondary in 2 weeks. So, do as boo boo says and as far as lagering, depending on the recipe/beer, a good rule is 7 days for every 8 points of OG. So, 1.048 = 6 weeks. For the diacetyl rest, don't let the krausen drop too far before you diacetyl rest or you might miss it. I've never used finings with my lagers and they generally come out very clear. If you lager longer than 6 weeks, you might consider adding a bit of dry lager yeast at bottling time, if you're bottling.

Back