How Do I Get Started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Q: I've been thinking of trying to make my own beer. How do I get started?

A: One great way to get a quick introduction to home brewing is by reading John Palmer's online manual, How To Brew. This will give you a good intro to the process and terminology, and in particular the section on Brewing Your First Beer is a great step-by-step reference for your first brew session.

Beyond that, lurk here and ask questions as they come to you. Everyone here is either a beginner, or was one once, and we're all more than happy to share our experiences.

Most importantly, Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew.

Great advice. I'm new at brewing and before I started I read Palmer's book (in paperback) front to back. I still refer back to it time to time, especially when things don't look right. :mug:

And of course, let's not forget about the excellent advice I've gotten here on this forum. :ban:

Primary: Sanitizer
Secondary: Air
Bottle conditioning: Blonde Ale
Drinking: Nut Brown Ale
Planning: Red Rock Ale

I would also say that it is a good idea to get a good starter kit of equipment that includes at least one glass carboy for fermenting. So many of the questions/problems I see in this forum seem to have to do with using a plastic bucket for a fermenter. My LHBS had very nice kits. I think mine was about $100 and included everything I needed to do extract brews with steeping granis. About the only major things I have added so far are a secondary carboy and an auto-siphon.

mmditter said:
I would also say that it is a good idea to get a good starter kit of equipment that includes at least one glass carboy for fermenting.
I agree with you 100% What would be cool would be if someone posted a list of everything that would be included in a good starter kit...such a list could find itself elevated to FAQ status. :)

El Pistolero said:
I agree with you 100% What would be cool would be if someone posted a list of everything that would be included in a good starter kit...such a list could find itself elevated to FAQ status. :)

I would be willing to offer up a list of basic equipment for extract + grain brewers, highlighting places where money can be saved (since I'm a cheap bastard) and what equipment is optional vs necessary.

I'd have to let an AG person do the AG kit write-up.

-walker

Hmmm...

[edited per Walker's suggestion]

Basic Basic starter kit:

16 qt minimum kettle
long SS spoon (or plastic--not wood)
6.5 gal plastic fermenter w/ lid
plastic airlock
racking cane and siphon tube OR auto siphon
bottle capper
bottle caps
bottles
bottling wand
sanitizer

For two-stage fermentation (and some other nice extras):
5 gal glass carboy
carboy cap or bung
hydrometer
hydrometer flask
Jet bottle washer
one or more additional airlocks
instant-read thermometer

Extremely useful extra toys:
wort chiller
more carboys, airlocks
stick-on thermometer strips
large funnel
large SS strainer
hop bags
various drilled rubber stoppers
large tub for sanitizing
wallpaper tray for sanitizing long skinny items

see.. I would say that a number of pieces of gear listed in your basic starter kit are not necessary, cweston. You are assuming 2 stage fermentation, hydrometer use, bottle washer, etc. I have never owned a bottle washer (I consider that to be a fancy gizmo and not a necessity), rarely use a hydrometer, and did quite a few batches with out a secondary fermenter early in my brewing career.

-walker

It could easily be broken out into basic, less basic, and "approaching obsession" level, sure.

I'm not surprised about the hydrometer. I know I find that I use mine less and less all the time, but as a true beginner it was nice to be able to use it to confirm that the process was working.

I'm surpised about the bottle washer. Pretty cheap (I'm a cheap bastard, remember) and worth it's weight in gold, IMHO. Great for rinsing carboys, too.

cweston said:
I'm surpised about the bottle washer.

when I open a beer, I pour it into a glass and rinse the bottle out immediately with hot tap water. The only thing I have to do before re-using that bottle is sanitize it.

For carboys, I just run some hot tap water into them, shake them around, and drain them.

I'm not saying the bottle washer is useless, but that is one piece of gear that can't ever see myself owning or wanting.

I think gear can be divided up into 4 main groups (examples listed in parenthesis), and this is what I am offering to do.

(1) necessities (bucket)
(2) up-grades/improvements (carboy)
(3) conveniences (auto-siphon)
(4) obsessions (brewpastor)

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
I think gear can be divided up into 4 main groups (examples listed in parenthesis), and this is what I am offering to do.

(1) necessities (bucket)

Good scheme. I think my edited list comes pretty close to conforming with your first three categories. Some of the things in my second category could get downgraded to "conveniences."

I don't think we could ever get people to agree on the catagories, though.

I mean... you could go COMPLETELY ghetto:

bucket (for fermenter)
platic wrap with tiny hole + rubber band (for half-assed airlock)
siphon hose (you could go straight from the bucket to the bottles, no wand)
plastic soda bottles + twist-on caps

-walker

Imperial Walker said:
would you really need the straw?
Depends on if you're an Okie, or a Texan. They're both pretty much the same, but the Texan would put on airs and use the straw. :D

how do i get started is a realitive question based on the hobbiests' motivation and determination.

i have seen a lot of ppl that started like i did with a mr beer kit only to be poo-poo'd on when they come to a forum to ask questions.

for me the mr beer kit was a great intro into beer making and i was motivated to make better beer and thus broaden my knowlledge base and find better ways of doing what i was doing

i came to the forums and read, i read palmers online book though i couldn't make much of a connection between his methods and mr beer - i was savy enough to figure out i needed atleast a primary and a secondary.

i actually made beer with that old mr beer kit and actually got some of my friends to try it. they didn't keel over and die, and i continued brewing. i found a lhbs and a local brew club and the rest is history. i am ever learning how to make better beer

that's what makes this forum nice. we don't poo-poo Mr Beer. We advise that one can do better, and help people step-up, but we all pretty much agree that Mr Beer can be a great introduction and allow you to, in the simplest form, go through the fermentation and bottling process.

If someone came on here brewing in a turd filled hole in the ground, I might razz them a bit, but if they had a bucket, plastic sheet/rubber-band, and a desire to make beer, I would think that was fine.

-walker

I remember on one of the threads in the cider forum (or was it the mead forum?) someone was trying to make cider with a trashcan (fermenter) and a plastic bag over the top (airlock) and was having trouble with it (imagine that). Nobody made fun of his setup, only gave advice on how to upgrade his equipment. I personally groaned because that is something I would totally do! I'm a chea pass all the way.

I'm a beginner and when I got interested I didn't know if I would enjoy the hobby or not. So I read John Palmer's online book to learn how and then all I got was a 4 gallon bucket with a lid (couldn't find a 5G at the time), a piece of airline for siphoning and to make a blowoff, a house thermometer from WalMart, and 2 liter coke bottles with twist on caps. Since the bucket was only 4 Gallons, I had to make a 3 gallon batch which means I had to size my ingredients accordingly. The only malt extract I could find locally was something in a health food supply store and it was only a 20 0z. bottle. So, this was how I started and fermented my first batch. It wound up being about 3 gallons.
While it was in primary, I found a LHBS about 50 miles away and went to visit. I got a real siphon hose and racking cane and a bottle wand for filling my bottles. I also bought a spigot for another bucket to use as a bottling bucket.
I only did a primary fermentation for 2 weeks and then racked into the bottling bucket and then right into the bottles. I waited 2 weeks and then last night tried my first bottle. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it turned out.

Now that I know that I really enjoy this, I will go and get the proper equipment and much more research and do it right the next time.

My whole point is, you really don't need alot of expensive stuff to start out with. You can still have a successful homebrew with just basic DIY equipment, although it might not be as sophisticated a brew as most folks here brew.

Dave R said:
I'm a beginner and when I got interested I didn't know if I would enjoy the hobby or not. So I read John Palmer's online book to learn how and then all I got was a 4 gallon bucket with a lid (couldn't find a 5G at the time), a piece of airline for siphoning and to make a blowoff, a house thermometer from WalMart, and 2 liter coke bottles with twist on caps. Since the bucket was only 4 Gallons, I had to make a 3 gallon batch which means I had to size my ingredients accordingly. The only malt extract I could find locally was something in a health food supply store and it was only a 20 0z. bottle. So, this was how I started and fermented my first batch. It wound up being about 3 gallons.
While it was in primary, I found a LHBS about 50 miles away and went to visit. I got a real siphon hose and racking cane and a bottle wand for filling my bottles. I also bought a spigot for another bucket to use as a bottling bucket.
I only did a primary fermentation for 2 weeks and then racked into the bottling bucket and then right into the bottles. I waited 2 weeks and then last night tried my first bottle. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it turned out.

Now that I know that I really enjoy this, I will go and get the proper equipment and much more research and do it right the next time.

My whole point is, you really don't need alot of expensive stuff to start out with. You can still have a successful homebrew with just basic DIY equipment, although it might not be as sophisticated a brew as most folks here brew.

Cool story. Your way of doing it, sounds a lot like the way a guy I know told how to do it years ago. Except, he said to get Pabst Blue Ribbon malt extract from the grocery store. I have seen the Pabst stuff in the grocery store, but never bought any or tried it. Back then I was making wine from whatever juice concentrates looked promising. I used dry bakers yeast and it turned out okay. Then, like you, I visited a LHBS and got some better equipment and wine yeast, etc...

I to started with the Mr. Beer kegs and I do still use them right along side my conical fermentor! I have five of the little buggers and I love them. I save my conical for the larger sized brew and use the Mr. Beer for experiments and brew for the ladies in the group that don't like real beers and don't drink but one or two.
Add a hose to the spigot and transfer from (primary) one to another (secondary). I've done mini All-Grain batches in them too. Just a smaller container. All though after the first one or two batches I wouldn't recommend their brew kits.

:mug:

brewhead said:
how do i get started is a realitive question based on the hobbiests' motivation and determination.

i have seen a lot of ppl that started like i did with a mr beer kit only to be poo-poo'd on when they come to a forum to ask questions.

for me the mr beer kit was a great intro into beer making and i was motivated to make better beer and thus broaden my knowlledge base and find better ways of doing what i was doing

i came to the forums and read, i read palmers online book though i couldn't make much of a connection between his methods and mr beer - i was savy enough to figure out i needed atleast a primary and a secondary.

i actually made beer with that old mr beer kit and actually got some of my friends to try it. they didn't keel over and die, and i continued brewing. i found a lhbs and a local brew club and the rest is history. i am ever learning how to make better beer

Imperial Walker said:

(1) necessities (bucket)

-walker

I like it! I think I would add another category between conveniences and obsessions:

toys (grain mills, kegerators, etc.)

Oh and walker, in what category do you place hydrometers? How about under "Phobias" ;) :D

In my recent brewing I have learned a few things. The first major is the buckets that come with the kits. The glass primary 6.5 and the glass secondary 5.0 is the best addition that you can make right off the bat. The buckets that come with the kits are awsome for sterilization and equipment cleaning purposes...

is there any way anyone can make a list of what's necessary for a basic kit if they already have a mr. beer kit? im a college student so I dont have a ton of funds, but i am already addicted.

should I just buy a 5gal basic kit anyway if i have a mr beer kit? oh and i dont have a ton of room at my parent's house or my school apt.

I think the only thing you can keep from the Mr beer kit is the PET bottles.
If you have the budget just buy a basic 5 gallon starter kit then add to it.

2 buckets, one with a spigot. 2 lids
Hydrometer and jar
Thermometer.
Clear vinyl tubing.
Sanitiser/Cleaner.

I would also say that it is a good idea to get a good starter kit of equipment that includes at least one glass carboy for fermenting. So many of the questions/problems I see in this forum seem to have to do with using a plastic bucket for a fermenter. My LHBS had very nice kits. I think mine was about $100 and included everything I needed to do extract brews with steeping granis. About the only major things I have added so far are a secondary carboy and an auto-siphon.

Hi, my name is John. I'm in the process of collecting material to start brewing from home. I'm on a budget and I can't buy a kit at the moment. I'm brainstorming on what will work as a fermentor/carboy and I've decided I'm gonna try using the plastic 5-gallon Sparklets jugs I get my drinking water delivered in. Any thoughts or advice on this?

Hi, my name is John. I'm in the process of collecting material to start brewing from home. I'm on a budget and I can't buy a kit at the moment. I'm brainstorming on what will work as a fermentor/carboy and I've decided I'm gonna try using the plastic 5-gallon Sparklets jugs I get my drinking water delivered in. Any thoughts or advice on this?

While this has been debated a million times.. Yes you can.

Downside:
  1. Only 5 gallon vs 6g or so for most primaries.
  2. Most of the water bottles are poly carbonate so if you are worried about biphenol b you might wanna use something else. But then you wouldn't be drinking water from one either would yuh?

I have been interested in trying this out ever since I had a quick chat or two with our new local brewery "Weasel Boy" in Zanesville, Ohio. I enjoy their beer VERY much and it has inspired me to try and make some of my own.

I always have a passion for making things and this possible hobby seems like it could be very feasible.

What type of kits could I look at for starters? I only have about $75 (maybe $100) to start out with. I did see the Beer Making Starter Kit with Ingredients kit. I was led to this website from the video series they made on brewing which I found very reassuring after reading the first chapter of "How to Brew" online.

Also I see a pretty big price difference between the glass carboys and the plastic "better-bottle"'s... are there any huge differences there? I would hope the plastic would be free of most chemicals that could leech into the beer.

Thanks for the advice. I have no clue what biphenol b is or that it was even present in my sparklets water....so, if I'm already drinking biphenol b, I'm not gonna mind it being present in whatever beer I brew! (unless it screws up the flavor....?)

What type of kits could I look at for starters? I only have about $75 (maybe $100) to start out with. I did see the Beer Making Starter Kit with Ingredients kit. I was led to this website from the video series they made on brewing which I found very reassuring after reading the first chapter of "How to Brew" online.

Also I see a pretty big price difference between the glass carboys and the plastic "better-bottle"'s... are there any huge differences there? I would hope the plastic would be free of most chemicals that could leech into the beer.

I'm pretty new to brewing myself, but from what I've read so far, you want to make sure all plastics you deal with are FOOD GRADE plastics so there is no chemical leeching into the beer.

As for starter kits, there is a store in Los Angeles Ca named Culver City Home Brewing Supply Co. Culver City Home Brewing Supply Co. They have a couple of starter kits listed online you can check out and compare with other suppliers.

Just sticking in my 10 cents. A great way I found to get started is by making an inmate brew, like the one craig tube has a tutorial on (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWGxmdtybs0).

Needs no special equipment at all, much simpler than beer and will teach you the science while severely wetting your appetite for more ;) Then you can fork out the $100+ for equipment and learn how to make huge batches of beer.

So I just got a home brew kit for Xmas. I have never brewed before an I'm clueless on the process. The kit came with a glass carboy an a plastic bottling bucket. Do I use the glass carboy as the primary, or do I have to go but another bucket?

use the glass carboy as your primary. You don't have a secondary fermenter - nor is it necessary. Ferment in the carboy for at least 2 weeks (or 3 to be sure if you don't have a hydrometer to test when it's done), and then transfer it to the bottling bucket for bottling. Enjoy!

Back