Can't believe my eyes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Saison went from O.G. Of 1.081 to final of 1.005. :mug: The yeast is a beast. Wyeast 3711 is crazy. I brewed on 11/26, i was thinking of bottling on Thursday or Sunday. Thoughts?

My Saison went from O.G. Of 1.081 to final of 1.005. :mug: The yeast is a beast. Wyeast 3711 is crazy. I brewed on 11/26, i was thinking of bottling on Thursday or Sunday. Thoughts?

The yeast really chewed through that one. Are you going to use Champagne yeast to bottle?

The yeast really chewed through that one. Are you going to use Champagne yeast to bottle?

Why would you add more yeast unless you've cold crashed and conditioned for a long time? There's no need to add more if it's only been two weeks.

Don't bottle until fermentation is complete. Better yet, don't bottle until the yeast have had time to clean up after themselves after fermentation has completed. First, your gravity should be holding steady before you bottle. Second, you want to give the yeast time to clean up some of the compounds that cause off-flavors that are produced during fermentation. I usually let mine sit for a week after the gravity has stabilized. That's probably a little longer than needed, but it never hurts to wait. Be patient and you'll be happier with the quality of the beer you're producing.

3711 is my favorite yeast; it's my house yeast.
I would wait a few weeks before bottling. My first time I bottle conditioned with 3711 I had some over carbonation issues. Give it some time to clean up.

-Mike

3711 is my favorite yeast; it's my house yeast.
I would wait a few weeks before bottling. My first time I bottle conditioned with 3711 I had some over carbonation issues. Give it some time to clean up.

-Mike

How much lower can it go? Wait a while to bottle because of clean-up? Would i need to add yeast when bottling?

No, you do not need to add any yeast for bottling. It's just my opinion to wait to bottle. I think that a 1.081 beer needs more than 2 weeks in the primary, regardless of the yeast strain.

How much lower can it go? Wait a while to bottle because of clean-up? Would i need to add yeast when bottling?

3711 may take it even lower, depending on the recipe. Give it more time to finish and clean up.

I usually go about 4 weeks with that yeast. I have had it finish very low, so make sure it is done.

No you do not need more yeast to bottle.

I'd let it sit a bit as the others said. I've had that yeast go down to .997 and .998 on the last 2 beers I used it on. It strangely maintains body and is a lovely yeast. I really love it.

Anyway, it will benefit from sitting for at least a few more weeks. Last beer I used it on, a Belgian IPA, was around 10% and didn't need additional yeast in order to carbonate. Bottled that 6.5 weeks after brewing. That yeast also pairs up with hops quite nicely.

Back