Official Jolly Pumpkin Baudelaire IO Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
A while ago I had a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin's Baudelaire IO saison. It's got rose petals & hips as well as hibiscus in it, giving it a unique color and floral flavor and aroma. I really enjoyed it so I wanted to try my hand at making it, so I emailed the brewer over at Jolly Pumpkin to see if they would share the recipe. A few days later I got a response:

"Thanks for the interest. I'm glad you enjoyed the beer.

The io is roughly;
80% Pils malt
9% Munich malt
8% Spelt flakes
3% C-75
and a tiny amount of roasted wheat.

About 2 oz / bbl rose hips at boil
4 oz rose pettals / bbl at end of boil
1 lb / bbl Hibiscus during maturation

OG 1.056
FG 1.007
IBU 15"

Very cool - thanks for sharing. Did they happen to share any insights on the fermentation? I know JP will often start with a clean ale fermentation with something close to WLP550.

Wow, that's almost the entire recipe! I've never had that beer, but being a saison and having the floral ingredients, I think it is safe to guess there is just one hop addition for bittering up to the 15 IBUs. And probably any clean bittering hop would work.

Then, after putting the rest of the ingredients into a calculator, you can take a good guess at how much roasted wheat to add in order to match the color of the beer.

And like what was already mentioned, the challenge for this one would be in the yeast and fermentation.

It's awesome to see a brewery give out so much detail, though.

Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. I've only ended up brewing this once, but I did really enjoy it and am planning on revisiting it again sometime. I fermented with a starter made from dregs of a bottle of Baudelaire IO, which really threw off the flavor from the original beer. Jolly Pumpkin tends to bottle with a sour strain, so my beer was much more tart than the original. I actually liked it better that way, but for people trying to match the original I would suggest using a regular yeast strain and adding some bugs after primary fermentation is complete.

The recipe I came up with for a 5 gallon batch based on the info provided by the brewers was:
7lb 10 oz Belgian Pilsner
14 oz Munich
13 oz Spelt
4 oz 80L
1 oz dark wheat malt
Mash @ 150F for 75 minutes

.3 oz Rose hips @ 60 minutes
1 oz Crystal hops @ 60 minutes
1 oz rose petals @ flameout

3 oz hibiscus for 3 days after fermentation complete

Very cool. I guess they know the fermentation is the main thing that makes their beer special, so the grain bill and other ingredients aren't so important to keep secret.

Regardless, it is really cool.

I just want to thank the OP. I've used these proportions of flowers (roughly, and I tweak as I go) add to the NB Petite Saison d' Ete recipe with great results. I actually like mine better than IO Baudelaire, because IO Baudelaire has that same Jolly Pumpkin sour strain as most of their other beers, which overwhelms the flowers.

Back