spliting 220v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike11b82

Reaction score
im looking start building a electric rig. i have a 220v / 50a line running to my dryer. i want to split this wire and use it for my new electric rig. i assume i would only be able to use one at a time. does this sound like it would work?

A dryer is usually 30a. You could tap the line but I would just get the mating plug and swap with the dryer when brewing. If you plan to pull 120v off of it, make sure it is a 4 wire feed. Gfi protection is also a wise thing to do.

the dryer is up stairs and i want to brew in the basment. thats why i want to tap in to the line and have another plug. im thinking i could just use a junction box and cut then re-splice all of them back together.

Question: Where is your breaker panel? If it's also in the basement, I think you would be better off installing a GFCI breaker and running a dedicated line to your brewery outlet.

Buy 2 piggyback 15 amp breakers to make room for a Dp30 amp gfci breaker and run a dedicated line for your brewing.
I would recommend NOT tapping off the dryer circuit.
Are you sure your dryer is 50 amps??
Most are just 30 amps.

jbug440 said:
Buy 2 piggyback 15 amp breakers to make room for a Dp30 amp gfci breaker and run a dedicated line for your brewing.
I would recommend NOT tapping off the dryer circuit.
Are you sure your dryer is 50 amps??
Most are just 30 amps.

I would do this. They are also called tandem breakers. Some panels will not accept them though. It usually says on the cover if they will. Then you can snap in a 50A breaker, feed a gfi spa panel and then your rig.

im sure its 50a, im guessing its oversized and i know my air conditionig circut is over sized, it has a 50a also but omly need a 35a. i guess i'll look into geting an electrician to move the brakers around.

Back