Sanitizing a Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
When I sanitize my Better Bottles, I just put about 2 quarts of Starsan in it and roll it around to coat the inside several times in a ten minute period.

I then pour the Starsan back in its bucket and drain the Better Bottle this way.

4569-DrainingBetterBottle.jpg

Just a sanitized plastic cup.

Typically I will soak mine with a light bleach solution after fermenting and then rinse it out well. For brewing I fill it with water and one-step and let it set while my wort is boiling.

I now store all of my carboys with a little star san in them and the carboy cap on top. They are always ready to go. When one gets emptied, I immediately clean it out before anything can dry out and really get stuck in there, then star san goes in, and it gets put on the shelf.

Brewsmith said:
When one gets emptied, I immediately clean it out before anything can dry out and really get stuck in there.

Yep. Me too. I've never had to use a brush inside one of mine.

I like the Starsan & carboy cap storage idea. Thanks.

I think the point is that Ed is showcasing the lightness of the better bottle.

You can't do that with glass and a plastic cup.

Once maybe...

Yeah, that only works with the better bottles. :D

I guess what I was thinking, but didn't really say is that I don't store mine full. I have about 5 gallons split between a 6.5 gal and 4 3-gal carboys (all 3 5-gallon ones are full of beer or cider). The 3 gallon ones are even in the boxes on their sides stacked on the shelf.

At filling time I just swish the star san around good, dump it into another carboy and fill'er up.

Back