Too much yeast nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabbie

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too much yeast nutrient? First time using and we put in 1 teaspoon per gallon in a 10 gallon batch (10 teaspoons!). On afterthought, and reading forums, I think this was way too much as it was half of the bottle of nutrient we bought.

Thoughts? :confused:

p.s. i feel like a tard

1 teaspoon for 10 gallons as I recall for White Labs brand. Which nutrient was it? You'd need to know the ingredients and then find out if a certain level of any of them was toxic to the yeast. A lot of research for something that will be proven to you over the course of the next few weeks. So relax at this point and have a you know what.

Most yeast nutrients are just autolyzed yeast. Your healthy yeast will use the stored nutrients from their dead and processed cousins. You should be fine. The one teaspoon per gallon ratio would be for meads or wines that lack enough nutrients for the yeast. You really don't need it for making beer under most circumstances, the wort will have pleanty of the necessary nutrients to keep yeast happy. Myself and most of my collegues only use it when making starters and media.

Back