"Brew House" vs "Actual Mash" Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntsman

Reaction score
The brewing program I used to brew my first all grain batch gave me a Brew House Efficiency of 70% but right below that on the excel spreadsheet screen it gave me an Actual Mash Efficiency of 81%. :confused:
Can anyone, please, tell me the difference between the two?
Thanks and I hope I put this topic in the right area.
Andy

So I went through the provided link and have a better understanding but still hoping someone can help me out a little more.

From what I gather Mash efficiency would be measured using the formula in Palmers book of preboil volume x amount of wort collected in gallons. Divide that total by the number of pounds of grain used and divide that number in to 36 for your mash efficiency percentage?

First off am I correct in thinking this?

Second how do I measure for lauter efficiency and then how do I use those two efficiencies to get my brewhouse efficiency?

Thanks!

Look on the 'pink elephant' thread in recipes, I posted some info.

Your mash efficiency is mostly based on temperature (assuming your water and ph etc is normal).

At 158f you should get 99.5% extraction efficiency, but fermentability will suck. At 150, extraction efficiency goes down but you'll actually get good fermentable wort. 2 step mash ftw!

Hi there, I was wandering: how much difference is there between a mash/preboil efficiency and a brewhouse efficiency? A common value, I mean
Usually I get 7-8 points of difference (BIAB), sometimes 11-12

Back