First brew Need help Advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ukfan369

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch on 10/01. I cloned the dogfish head 60minute recipe found here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/. Everything went well I suppose. I used 13lbs of grain and cooked @ 150deg. for an hour then began my boil with constant adding of hops. I started fermenting once the brew cooled to 70deg. My question is how long before i add the dry hops? And my airlock is still bubbling but significantly less than it did a couple days ago which i guess could be normal?

Dry hopping is an area of much debate. Getting the amounts and timing just right is an ongoing trial and error for almost all clone recipes. My suggestion is to read all 11 pages of the thread and you'll probably find your answer.

However dry hopping typically comes after fermentation is complete. 7-10 days after pitching the yeast rack to secondary and top off w/the hops. Let that sit for 7-10 more days depending on the recipe and bottle/keg.

Bubbling air-locks are a good sign that fermentation is still moving along. Don't worry too much about that. After 5 days or so if you see significantly less activity start taking gravity readings. Every other day take a reading. If you get two consecutive readings that are the same fermentation is more or less done and you can safely rack over and dry hop. However most recipes call for a certain time in the primary and secondary (this recipe appears to call for 10 and 10). Beer needs time for the yeasties to clean up and other off flavors to diminish so you aren't really aiming to rack and dry hop the instant the fermentation slows, just take your time.

I usually wait 14 days after yeast pitch to dry hop, and leave them for another 2 weeks.

The choice then is between leaving it in primary for the month and dryhopping in there, or racking to a secondary on the 14th day to dryhop.

Latest posts

Back