Poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After dealing with assorted leaks and sanitizing problems I've decided to put all of my cornys through a rebuild as they cycle of of the kegerators. I have 12 and they are all ball lock. Aside from minor cosmetic differences such as the color of the top and bottom and where the in and out indicators are they all appear to be the same. Is there some way to know what poppet these use without lifting up the post?

I think there are some differeneces depending on who made the keg. Check this page for some references. The manufacturer should be identified on the side of the keg. At least mine are.This is assuming the keg plugs are original to the keg maker. Poppets

After dealing with assorted leaks and sanitizing problems I've decided to put all of my cornys through a rebuild as they cycle of of the kegerators. I have 12 and they are all ball lock. Aside from minor cosmetic differences such as the color of the top and bottom and where the in and out indicators are they all appear to be the same. Is there some way to know what poppet these use without lifting up the post?

I'm confused... what is the issue with "lifting" the post? I'm not even sure what you mean by that... does that mean "removing it with a wrench?"

Probably about 90% of ball lock cornelius style kegs use the same poppets. The problem is that it's not that easy to tell the difference between them. I would remove the post and take the poppet to your LHS for a match up. I don't recall the link , but one of the one line vendors has close up pictures of the various poppets and you can match them up that way.

I have never had a poppet fail. Occasionally get crud in them, yes; but, never actually fail. They aren't cheap, so unless you can definitely see that one is cut, scored, decomposing or the spring is broken/rusty, just clean and lube it.

Latest posts

Back