Is Weyermann's Bohemian Pilsner Malt undermodified??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivoman

Reaction score
I'm eyeing a Bohemian pilsner as an upcoming brew, and wonder if this malt is undermodified or not. I used to use the Budvar malt, which was fantastic; I would double-decoct it and had great results. Anyone try this new stuff from weyermann that looks like it's grown in the Czech Republic but malted in Germany??

Nope, interestingly the least modified malt I have found is Rahr domestic Pilsner malt which is around ~37 SNR. It's been awhile but I think the Weyermann is around 40 or 41. Check with the supplier, more than likely they have a lot analysis (or maybe even an analysis for their bag(s)).

>shudder<

I have a sack laying on the hood of my truck.

I was going to use some to give diastatic power to some specialty grains, and hadn't even considered the possibility that it could be low itself. =/

The rest, I was going to make into kolsch.

>shudder<

I have a sack laying on the hood of my truck.

I was going to use some to give diastatic power to some specialty grains, and hadn't even considered the possibility that it could be low itself. =/

The rest, I was going to make into kolsch.

I think the diastatic power is around 120L for the Pils though I can't seem to find any datasheets with a quick search. I was talking about the SNR (% soluable nitrogen). I've used 40% pils and 60% unmalted grains before with no problems...

Back