Bayou Classic 3066A Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with this burner. I can literally get it with spare change/Coinstar/Amazon.com. I have one reservation about the kettle that comes with it. The size is large enough for my 5 gal batches but I would like to hear from those that might have it if the kettle is able to be used for brewing. Is there a copper insert for better heat dissipation? If not, does the thing simply work and make good beer?

http://www.bizrate.com/deepfryers/pid359236512/information.html

Thanks!

Perhaps being in the south I'm at a bit of an advantage for finding turkey fryers, but I just got one from Academy Sport and Outdoors for $48 that is 150,000 BTU's and came with a 30qt stainless steel pot, basket, turkey fryer hook, and a thermometer.

The first one listed here is only 55,000 BTU's and the second one doesn't list the BTU's. I only mention this to advise you to shop around because there are better deals out there.

:mug:

That was the brand I got, but you linked to the aluminum pot, I got the stainless steel version, which was a little more. I'd recommend the stainless steel.

I was a little concerned about the stand before I unpacked the box. It's made out of wrought iron and is very heavy duty. The 30qt pot holds 7.5 gallons of liquid, at 8lbs per gallon that's 60lbs it has to hold plus the weight of the pot.

Much to my wife's chagrin, I stood on the stand and bounced my near 200lbs. up and down for a good minute before using the burner to steep some grains. Needless to say, the stand held just fine. I brought 1.5 gallons of water up to 160 degrees in about a minute and a half. I'm happy with the purchase.

I bought the burner for the burner and got a free pot with it that I will use for my all grain set up later. Or, I got a $48 pot and a free burner....or...a thermometer and....:p

I'm thinking of getting this one for my all grain setup:
Dual Burner

:mug:

I've been brewing with a similar one (with the aluminum pot) for over a year without a problem. Everyone always says stainless steel is the way to go, but the price made my decision for me, and I haven't regretted it yet.

In fact I'm listening to Basic Brewing Radio today, and during an interview with John Palmer (How to Brew author), he actually recommends an aluminum brewpot.

It's the 12-01-05 episode of the show, if you would like to listen :)

Man that SS combo kit from academy is a great deal at $48 bucs. I cant seem to find any option to buy online. Do they only sell from the store?

Back