Rectangular cooler for MLT??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcap

Reaction score
Have several rectangular coolers as tenants seem to shed them regularly when moving. The thing I really like is that I have a piece of slotted SS that was once used to drain fat after deep frying food that fits a couple of the coolers nearly perfectly. It seems to me that it would work very nicely to hold the grain beds above the drain--fits tightly @ 1/2" to an inch above the bottom. Slots are 1/8" wide & 3/4" long W/ 1/8" between. Would this be a feasible system to begin trying all grain brewing, or is something of this shape completely untenable. Thanks for any input/suggestions.

It sounds like you want to use the slotted SS sheet as a false bottom. You'd want to support it somehow, and it really needs to fit well around the sides to make sure you don't get a lot of grain by that way. 1/8" holes may work OK, but that's probably on the large end of what you'd want. The grain will create a filter for itself, but you don't want to allow much grain through the slits, or it will take forever for the runnings to be clear of grain particles.

Back