Temporary hop planting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
A buddy at work just gave me a cascade plant. I'm currently in an apt that I don't plan on staying at for too much longer, maybe moving in 2 or 3 months. Is there a good way to start growing the plant, just to keep it alive until I find a more permanent spot? I don't really want to produce anything yet. Could I just plant it in a big planter or bad and let it go, then cut it back when I move?

Also, it's pretty nice weather right now in Portland, OR, but colder weather is right around the corner. Would it be a better idea to grow inside, or will it do fine outside if I plant now?

I've been looking around for some easy hop planting instructions, but everything I seem to find is either dead links or doesn't really answer my questions.

Here's a picture of what I got:
do9r.jpg

I'd put it in a bigger pot, let it go as much as you can before winter (to establish as many roots as possible), and it'll grow next spring. After initial root formation, hops are hardy.

Should I keep the pot closed, or put holes in the bottom to let the roots out? I assume keeping it closed would be fine, then I can move it should I end up moving in the middle of the winter.

I'm in Portland as well.

Keep the pot outside. Since the foliage has been cut back already, you want to keep the rhizome dormant over the winter. Warm temps inside will cause it to waste energy sprouting new growth - only to be shocked when placed outdoors in a few months.

We have mild winters here. I've had no trouble overwintering rhizomes in pots that size as long as they stay moist and have good drainage. However, a larger pot and some mulch would give you the best chances.

>> Should I keep the pot closed, or put holes in the bottom to let the roots out?
The pot must have holes for proper drainage.

Or, are you talking about cutting the bottom off? That's not really necessary.

Awesome, thanks! I'll get a bigger pot for it and some mulch.

As for the bottom, I just heard of people making bigger holes to let the roots go, at least with the half barrels. I'll just leave it be as it is.

Back