Hops in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakee117

Reaction score
I just finished my first AG brew ( IPA ). I have noticed that quite a few hops ended up in the fermenter. Should I take them out via a sanitized spoon? I am afraid they will clog the vent hole and cause problems.

No, they should be ok and eventually drop out. I wouldn't try to remove them now. What I do is siphon about 3/4 of the wort with my autosiphon, and then pour the rest through a strainer into my fermenter. Some people like to whirlpool their wort before transferring to the fermenter- it leaves a big pile of stuff in the center and then you can siphon from the side. (I hope that makes sense). If the hops make it into the fermenter, though, it's really not a problem though.

Thanks! I did take about 70% of them out but now I assured that things are going good with my brew. Next time I will definatly strain the balance of my boil to prevent the hops problem.

Latest posts

Back