Carbed in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hello gents,

I've noticed in my last two batches that when I move beer from my primary to my secondary or my serving keg that there is already some light carbonation. I always leave beer in the primary for 14 days. One of these beers certainly didn't come out right as my abv was only 1.8% when I was shooting for 5%

Some carbonation should be expected from the beer even before bottling/kegging as the yeast will produce both co2 and alcohol during fermentation. Most of the built up co2 is released through the airlock but there will still be some left in solution when it comes time to bottle/keg.

As far as missing your expected %ABV, what were your gravity readings?

AerationStation said:
Some carbonation should be expected from the beer even before bottling/kegging as the yeast will produce both co2 and alcohol during fermentation. Most of the built up co2 is released through the airlock but there will still be some left in solution when it comes time to bottle/keg.

As far as missing your expected %ABV, what were your gravity readings?

I my og was 1.046 and fg was 1.034. I had some pretty serious issues with my mash on this one so I wasn't expecting much but was hoping for better than this!

I my og was 1.046 and fg was 1.034. I had some pretty serious issues with my mash on this one so I wasn't expecting much but was hoping for better than this!

Yep, that'll do it. It just sounds like you didn't get great conversion from your grain bill, if you left it in the fermenter for 14 days you should be well passed attenuation for the yeast. If you have a record of your grain bill/mash schedule then you can take a look at exactly what to work on.

As far as what to do with it, if it tastes ok then I would just take the hit and drink it :mug:

Back