My 1st extract beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightydrake

Reaction score
So tonight I brewed my 1st extract beer.

1 can of Coopers IPA
2x 1.3kg light LME
300g dextrose
2oz of Cascade 6.2% AA hop pellets boiled 15min with LME

I plan to dry hop after about 2 weeks fermentation with another 2oz of Cascade 5% AA. Do you guys think it will be too much hops ? I want it to be a hoppy IPA with about 6-6.5% alcohol.

Right now it gives me an OG of 1.056.

are you sure you boiled both ounces of hops for only 15 minutes? I always thought there needs to be an hour boil of some hops to make beer. You'll have lots of aroma and flavour, but no bitterness.

hop_utilization.jpg

that will be a pretty good sweet IPA. you need to boil hops for 60 mins to utilize their bittering qualities. 15 mins - dry hop are for flavor and aroma. 2oz in the dry hop min. If your using whole leaf throw the hops in a muslin bag. makes cleanup super easy.

There is no rule about adding hops for an hour. While 15 minutes does seem a bit short, using hops under 20 minutes is called the 'late-hopping technique' and is used by many prominent brewers. It provides a less harsh bitterness. A fifteen minute addition will give you roughly half of the utilization of a 60 minute addition, so you need to increase the amount of hops you use.

Brewing Better Beer, 66-67

Also, I'm sure the can of extract is already hopped. Good luck on your brew! I think 2 oz dry hopping will be fine. It will be prominent, but not overpowering.

Don't forget he's already put a can of Cooper's IPA in there, so there's already plenty of hop bitterness....that can is nearly 40 IBU's on its own. So the idea of adding aroma hopping is good.

I don't think a 15-20 minute addition is going to add half the bittering of a 60 minute one. 20 minutes down to 5 or so is for flavor,5 or less for aroma. Dry hopping is for aroma,which is linked to our sense of taste. But doesn't add flavor,only adds to our perception of it as a whole.
I like 20 & 10 minute additions myself,beyond the bittering 60 minute one if I'm doing one. But that Cooper's can def won't need a bittering addition.
You'll get about 6.4%ABV out of a 1.056 OG by Cooper's formula of (OG-FG)/7.46 + .5=ABV% with an FG of 1.012. I also used 6oz of hops in my IPA. 4.5oz of 3 hops in the boil,the remaining 1.5oz as a 1 week dry hop.

Back