Great Lakes christmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymolomancer

Reaction score
Just had my first one this year. I'm not sure if its me or the beer, but it tastes kind of meh. Maybe I'm just drinking too much great beer lately.

overrated....overrated....overrated...

Its a way overrated Xmas Ale that people like to hoard in Ohio... no idea why

To each their own. I had one just a couple days ago, and it was quite good. This year's seems at least up to par with the usual, if not a bit better. The spicing is a bit more subdued than in past years, which I like.

To each their own. I had one just a couple days ago, and it was quite good. This year's seems at least up to par with the usual, if not a bit better. The spicing is a bit more subdued than in past years, which I like.

Maybe I will have to give it another go.. the past few years it was just a Xmas spice bomb lol... There are soooo many good Winter Warmers / holiday beers to be messing with average ones.

Whelp in my opinion it does not get much better than GLBC xmas ale, as far as winter seasonals go. I find a lot, if not most, other non spiced winter beers kind of mundane. They usually end being just another beer with higher alcohol content, IMO.

Glad i got the nosferatu then,havent tried it yet.I have limited availibility to get it and i almost got it,ehh i probably would have got the pale or amber before getting that yet anyway, but the commodore pery ipa was worth it.

Damn,i always underestimate pale ales, now i gotta get it,i was debateting that one as well, Damn the selections,damn them. I always hated decisions....

I think its gotten a little out of hand with the spices in the last 3-4 years. This year's batch is really cinnamony. I just had a Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas and it was great. The spices were very well balanced. I heard a rumor that the brewer there was affiliated with Great Lakes and had a hand in the creation of GL christmas ale.

I heard a rumor that the brewer there was affiliated with Great Lakes and had a hand in the creation of GL christmas ale.
Yeah, he was their previous brewmaster. They fired him and he took his christmas ale recipe with him. 12 Dogs is where it's at.

Back