WLP090 San Diego Super yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltjoe

Reaction score
I used this yeast on a high gravity barleywine I made.

I used a starter on a stir plate for 24 hours. I cold crashed it, drained all but a few ounces of the starter, I let it come to room temp for about 2 hours while brewing. SHook it up and then added to my wort.

Fermentation started within the hour. It was a vigorous fermentation. See the youtube video below:

[ame]http://youtu.be/Q3kBDJQv_ZM[/ame]

I ended up putting a second blow off tube on the second port of the cap. Fermentation continued vigourous for 72 hours and then slowed. This is the 4t day and the beer is already clearing. I will test gravity in the next day or so but it looks like it is done.

I like this yeast, it was fast and cleans up great. Fermentation temp was 68 degrees.

WLP001 and WLP090 are going to be my choices for most of my American Brews.

Thanks

Joe

I have a 1.080 Imp Stout on this yeast right now...day 4 and already stopped? Took a reading at 1.028. Wow, not very good attenuation. I usually hit my FG...so agitated the carboy and it took off again! So, this is so flocculant that like an English ESB yeast, you have to watch the early flocculation on higher gravity beers. How is that barley wine doing?

I got 85% att on an ipa....went from 1.063 to 1.010 in 72 hours. First time using this yeast

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

I think it's a great yeast, but I get that kind of action from 1056 too. I think it's all about getting a good active starter, or big pitch. I almost always get my yeast as a repitch from one of my batches, or a crop from my local brewery (the Powerhouse in Puyallup, WA).

The barleywine is doing great attenuated down to 1,010 from 1,085. Had it dryhopped in the secondary for 2 weeks. It is now kegged and conditioning. I plan to tap it at Christmas. Tasted it when I took a sample and it was good. Young but good.

Joe

On the 3rd generation with this yeast, took an IPA from 1.070 to 1.015 in less than 48 hrs! Making some tasty beers with it. I like the flocculation too, clear beer in less than a week.

My barleywine came out clean, taste the hops and the maple syrup. I am now doing a christmas beer with this yeast and it was 1.090 and has been furiously fermenting for 72 hours. Here is a video taken at less than 24 hours:

baltjoe's Channel - YouTube

Joe

Back