Upright Freezer --> Ferm Chamber noobie needs help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
So I got this freezer for F-R-E-E today and I figured I HAD TO DO SOMETHING with it.
:ban::ban::ban::ban:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/auDgybua8aixtrUZzBa0w-3X6Xh3lwLvQv8P1yikhIg?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/woe6HNZkWaZKiDgyudi2TO3X6Xh3lwLvQv8P1yikhIg?feat=directlink

But it has the coils in the shelves...other than that it is an old Kenmore and from what I can tell works very well. It still had plenty of ice in it when I picked it up today.

What I would like to do is turn it into a ferm chamber but I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions/concerns I should know about before going for it. I know bending the coils is what I will probably have to do I just wanted to get some initial feedback as to the best options to utilize this on the cheap. I also know I will need a temp probe to keep my temps but other than that I am not sure what I should or shouldn't do.

Ferment in 1 gal jugs? I think finding a non standard fermentation container may be your best bet, but someone with more fridge modding experience might have another idea.

*edit* It might be possible to remount the compressor so that you can set the whole thing on its side then do a wood depth extender and set it up on it's side.

bending the shelves is the only thin i can think of to make the space. possibly put it on its side or build a shelving unit to fit inside

My first thought was; damn, you could fit a lot of Carlo Rossi jugs in there, but yeah I think you best bet it bending the shelves. running it horizontally may not work so well due to how the condenser is set up (it might do fine too, just sayin', I don't know). Have you sized out how many shelves you would need to bend? It looks like you would only have to bend two, and only to a 45degree angle or so to clear the shoulder of a carrboy.
A close up pic of the shelf/coil connection would make it easier for me to say that this is worth trying or not

I have an old upright freezer with the coils in the shelve what I did was got a johnson controller to keep temp then I cut the wire shelving so that my carboys could stick through the shelve I was too paranoid to bend the coils to much.

sooo....I went ahead and did some adjusting. I decided to leave the bottom two shelves alone and just bend the top two out of the way enough for 2 carboys. Below that is a free shelf I can use to condition freshly filled bottles.

http://picasaweb.google.com/andrewjackson757/StandUpFreezer?authkey=Gv1sRgCJf84cDPp4irgwE&feat=directlink

I cut some of the shelving off of one of them so I can maneuver it better and once I had everything far enough out of the way I just zip tied everything in place.

I think I bent everything carefully enough and it is probably ready to be turned back on. Is there anything I should worry about when turning it back on now? I still do not have a temperature controller for it yet either...suggestions? Other than making sure it works still after the bends I just need to clean it some more and BOOYAH hopefully I will have a new ferm chamber! (fingers crossed)

sweet, I love zip ties. I think you should be good to go, assuming you didn't make a leak when you bent things. I don't think there is any way (without HVAC tools) to test this except to see if it works still. I don't think (but could be wrong) that there is anything dangerous about turning it on. Just open a window to get some ventilation in case is does leak.

Back