Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
Here it is by popular demand:

Pumpkin Pie Cream Ale

Boil
6 Cans Pumpkin 15oz (not pie filling)
6lbs. DME
1lb. Lactose

Steep
2lbs. Crystal Malt (20 Lov) or Caramel
.25lb. Special "B"
.25lb. Chocolate Malt

Hops
.5oz Cascade @ 60mins
1oz Cascade @ 30mins

Yeast
Wyeast: London III #1318

Spices
4 Nutmeg (crushed)@30mins
10 Cinnamon Sticks (crushed)@30mins

Here's a pic:
Pumpkin.jpg

when do you expect this to be done by? I wanted to do a pumpkin ale but thought I was too late to even have it by Turkey Day.

kevy_kev said:
when do you expect this to be done by? I wanted to do a pumpkin ale but thought I was too late to even have it by Turkey Day.

But it will still be great throughout the whole hoiday season

jessefive said:
What kind of DME did you use? I would like to try this recipe.

Munton & Fison, Light DME.

kevy_kev said:

I'm hoping it will be done by Halloween. If not, then Thanksgiving...of course there's always Christmas.

I started this batch two weeks ago and will secondary it for two more. I still have alot of pumpkin that snuck into the secondary, so I may even tertiary to clear it more. Man, did it smell spicey during transfer! I will only have a week to cold condition it before Halloween, so I'm not expecting much. It may come down to letting the spices mellow out for a month and having it Thanksgiving.

I'll keep y'all posted!

:mug:

hmm I think I am going to brew this weekend and try to get something by turkey day then. Everything I was ready was saying 2-3 months to condition and mellow out the spices.

i think when I redo this one, Im going to float some of my oatmeal stout on top for my holiday version of a black and tan

kevy_kev said:
hmm I think I am going to brew this weekend and try to get something by turkey day then. Everything I was ready was saying 2-3 months to condition and mellow out the spices.

I brewed my pumpkin ale in July and don't really think it's quite ready yet. Tried one a couple weeks ago and the spices are still too overpowering. It is tasty, though, nice spice flavor with a strong hinting of pumpkin. Got some pumpkin sediment in it, and I like that. It's a very full brew.

I recently tried a Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale to compare and I like mine better-the Blue Moon one tastes like an amber ale with pumpkin spices; no where in it did I detect actual pumpkin. If you are very conservative with the spices, it may be ready in a month or so, but that may be pushing it. My recipe was from Midwest and didn't have too much in the way of spices in it (compared to many recipes I've seen) and I still think it needs to mellow till the end of the month.

Thats what I thought. I think I am going to push it off and have to buy some pumpkin ale for Turkey day. Rather brew something the right way and have it be something I wouldnt mind drinking all winter. back to researching the rootbeer porter or scotch ale.
Guess there is always next year, maybe a will plan a little better then. I am still new to this and need to set up a good brewing schedule so I dont miss the target dates for drinking.

Back