Thin beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer about to start partial mashing. My brews usually come out a little thin. I mostly brew ipa's and they seem to have very little body. I just had a Dale's pale and liked the caramelish start before the hop flavor kicked in. I love snv's celebration but can't seem to get the body. I can get the hop flavor from late dme addition etc. Any ideas and dom you think partial mashing will get me close?

I had the same problem when I did extract. All grain has turned out really well. I typically use carapils and some crystal to get some extra body and head retention. For IPAs I normally mash at about 151F. I've never done partial mashing...but if you want some residual sugars you should mash at a higher temperature.

Too much carbonation will also contribute to that perception of the beer being thin. Maybe not what's going on in your case, but thought I'd mention it.

I do partial mashes and the more grain I use and the less extract I use, the better my brews come out all around. Body, flavor, head, everything. I promise you that when you start partial mashing you're going to kick yourself for not doing it sooner. It's so freakin' easy.

Back