Opened my first bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BioBeing

Reaction score
My first ever homebrew!

100_4940.jpg

Its an Old Ale: Used a Muntons Old Ale can, modified as per Papazian to make Avagadro's Expeditious Ale. One can, two pounds of dark DME, one pound of cane sugar (the kit only cane with two lb of DME) and a half oz of cascade at flame out. Primary for three weeks, then bottled one week ago. OG was greater than 1050 (as in, it was 1.050 after a night of fermentation - I forgot to take a reading before pitching the yeast); FG was 1.016. If I knew then... I'd have run to the homebrew store for a couple or three more pounds DME instead of the sugar.

I put the bottle in the fridge last night to chill it. It had been at room temp (about 68) for 6 days. It is a bit sweet still up front, and not very carbonated, so I think it hasn't finished conditioning yet. But it does have a nice bitter aftertaste. Definitely better towards the bottom of the glass. Fairly clear - slight haze. Overall, very drinkable. Gonna be good in a few more weeks. Quite happy for my first attempt.

:tank:

ETA: sorry the image came out so big. the smaller version wouldn't link... Time to upgrade I guess!

Yup, congratulations and welcome to the addiction! It just gets better from here on out.

I've been curious as to how well "primary-only" brewing works out, someone suggested to me that I could do that rather then move the beer to a secondary but what has to be done to assure the air doesn't get to the beer? Pop the lid down and install an airlock after the krausen has fallen I would assume?

I do all of my beers as primary only. I leave them there for at least a month then I bottle/keg. Lots of people only use a secondary if they are racking onto fruit.
This works well for me.
-Me

Hmm I think I might try this myself! Is my assumption regarding popping the lid down and installing an airlock after the krausen has fallen consistent with what you're doing?

Sorry for jacking your thread BioBeing! I fixed your picture as compensation, it wasn't working for me.

100_4940.jpg

Hmm I think I might try this myself! Is my assumption regarding popping the lid down and installing an airlock after the krausen has fallen consistent with what you're doing?

Sorry for jacking your thread BioBeing!

I use only a primary. I have a lid and airlock on the whole time. I can't imagine ever leaving it off. Wouldn't you risk wild yeast or an infection? Maybe if you're going for a lambic that'd be ok, I guess.

Thanks for fixing the pic!

I primary in a 5 gal carboy. Put a blow off tube in until the main fermentation is done, then stick in the airlock. Then leave it! At least until SG readings are constant for 3 days, probably a week or two longer, to let the yeasties clean up. Seemed to work for me, and I think many others here do the same.

Latest posts

Back