Weak kit..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universe

Reaction score
Just had a taste of my Riesling after doing a hydrometer reading. I read on here that kits tend to be weak...can this be from the 'topping up' the directions ask you to do? How does one attain a higher % while brewing from kits.

you could add a lb or 2 of dme or corn sugar or even use alcohol boost from AHS. I discount this notion that you will get a "weaker" beer from an extract kit. There are numerous reasons as to why a beer can taste weak. First off you are drinking that hydro sample without CO2 and that affects the feel and the taste. Also, you are likely drinking that at room temp and that is also misleading.

:tank:

After all the wine kits I've made, I'll tell you that you must not judge a wine before it is bottled (and preferably aged at least a bit).

I made a Winexpert Vintner's Reserve Riesling in April and it's a fine wine.

I do not think in general kit wines are weaker wines. I made the Vintner's Reserve Mezza Luna, and this is definitely not a weak wine.
However the recipes on the canned grape juice concentrate will make a less full bodied wine. These depend on sugar to raise the gravity to the expected OG. But kit wines from Winexpert and RJ Spagnols and others are usually pretty good wines using all juice and no sugar.

Craig

Anyone else have any input? Kit directions state optional racking to another carboy to help clear it...says to top up 2 inches to the bung each time. Wouldn't that weaken the wine?

Anyone else have any input? Kit directions state optional racking to another carboy to help clear it...says to top up 2 inches to the bung each time. Wouldn't that weaken the wine?

Yes it does dilute the wine if you have to top up much. One thing you can do to offset this is to top up with wine, instead of water. Use something similar.
Adding some additional sugar initially with boost the alcohol content and may make the wine seem more full bodied, also adding dried elderberries is supposed to help the body and color of red wine. But I would no recommend experimenting until after you have made atleast one kit. You may find it works quite well as is.

Also if you want a fuller bodied wine Winexpert makes Mezza Luna Red and Mezza Luna White that are a little higher gravity that the other wine kits. They also make Luna Rossa and Luna Bianchi in their Selection Series.

Craig

Back