What's best: week at room temp or week in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novafire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am having a party in exactly one week and am serving several of my beers. I have a full batch of Superior Strong Ale (brewed in March) http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/RecipeKits.aspx?SubCat=130 in bottles that I would like to serve. It still has a very small hint of that big beer bite that many higher OG beers have when they are too young. I am enjoying a bottle right now however and I doubt anyone will really notice, but in the interest of science, what what would be the best temperature at which to store the beer until next Saturday? I could refrigerate the bottles for the next week or keep them at room temp (72 degrees) and toss them in the fridge the night before the party.

Instinct tells me to refrigerate them and stop thinking about it, but I also thought maybe the extra week at room temp would do them some good.

Thoughts?

You'll get more clarity and sediment compaction after a week in the fridge. Given that it's been aging warm for quite some time, an extra week on that front won't do much. I vote fridge.

Back