Mack and Jacks clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
Does any body have a clone recipe for mack and jacks that I can brew using extract. This is my favorite beer and since I dont live in wa anymore I cant get it. This is why I got into home brewing ( just put my first batch hefe in the primary yesterday) thanks

BYO's 150 clone recipes has it:
5 Gallons
OG 1.060
FG 1.018
IBU 38
SRM 13
ABV 5.5%

2.5 lbs Munton's Light DME
4lb 6oz Munton's Light LME
1 lb Munich
.5 lb Crystal 80 L
.5 lb Carapils
9.75 AAU Centennial (60 min)
6.2 AAU Cascade (2 min)
2.5 AAU Cascade (dry hop)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 min)
Wyeast 1098 (British) or White Labs WLP005

Steep crushed grains in 3 qts 150 degree water for 30 min. Rinse with 1.5 qts 170 degree water. Add water to make 3 gallons. Stir in DME. Add hops at designated times. Stir in LME with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Ferment at 68 degrees and dry hop in secondary for 5-7 days. The magazine says that pellets work best for dry hopping- probably because it's what the brewery uses.

I did this recipe and it turned out okay. It's hard to recreate that Mac & Jacks flavor though. Good luck!

I had my first sip of this BYO clone last night and man, this stuff is great. I even over shot my efficiency and ended up being a 6.7% beer, but does not taste like it.

The sad part is that I only got 4.5 Gallons into the keg instead of the anticipated 5.

Did you use the Whit Labs or Wyeast?

I'm in the Primary on this one with White Labs 005... alas I missed the last 2 min hop and had to try and add in the primary, will hop the 2ndary per recipe.

I didn't get the OG either... but mine was short rather than over. So we will see what happens... 2 more months.

Did you use the Whit Labs or Wyeast?

I'm in the Primary on this one with White Labs 005... alas I missed the last 2 min hop and had to try and add in the primary, will hop the 2ndary per recipe.

I didn't get the OG either... but mine was short rather than over. So we will see what happens... 2 more months.

I used the White Labs as well. I also washed it and have 4 pint jars of it for future brews. So far I am very happy how it turned out, a couple more days with the gas on it and I will be having a few this weekend while I brew up another beer.

Many of us on another brew forum site have made this many times and we've added 1/2 oz of dried orange peel to the boil. Adds a nice touch.

We also dry hop it and I dry hop it in primary after 4 days and let it sit another 10 to 11, then transfer and bottle. I don't do a secondary. Use fermetus S04 dry yeast and it clears really well in primary.

Back