Score! (I think...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, for $10, it seems like a good gamble. Even if it's no good to you, you could probably resell it for what you paid

You'll find something to do with it!

Even if it wasn't food-grade, you could re-sell it to someone for probably $40 - $50 to push ice water through an immersion chiller, for example.

I've been wanting a second pump specifically to recirculate cold water through my currently unused CFC. I figured a second March pump would be a good bet since I could probably use it elsewhere in the brewing process.

Hopefully the gamble pays off, but you guys have all mentioned great ways of mitigating the risk. I'll let you know how it turns out!

I got all exited and went to ebay looking for a ten buck pump... found one too... guy used it to transfer oil to his trucks.... Hmmm what to do? Anyone know if you can buy new heads for these things?... how much?

Yeah, I saw that one. I opted for the unknown rather than motor oil. You can buy new pump heads, but I think they're the expensive part of a March pump (somebody else prove me wrong?).

A REALLY REALLY thorough cleaning with some solvent followed by a REALLY REALLY thorough detergent wash followed by a REALLY REALLY thorough rinse might bring that one back to brew status. I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Hey Yuri, Got my new "used" 26 dollar (shipping incl.) march pump in the mail today...works great, and that 27 dollar head is now on the way...

26+27=53 Bucks for a partly new march pump

Score!

BTW I picked up a free Keggle today as well... god I love craigslist

Yuri_Rage said:
Mine hasn't arrived yet - soon, I hope! Congrats on the keggle!

The Keggle is a little dented ... kinda leans to one side. Needs a weldless valve installed and a sight glass. Even if I do need to spend a little to get it going... Free is a cool price to pay.

Well, I have to report similar success on the pump, Seabee. The pump arrived today, and it looks and smells like it was used to pump potting soil in a previous life. The filthy pump head is also cracked, making it quite useless to me at the moment.

However, the motor runs, and i can get a new pump head for about $30! So, I'll have a working March pump at about 1/3 the price of a new one. SCORE!

EDIT:
Well, maybe that pump head will be more like $60. That $27 one posted above is just the outside cover. The entire "wet end" is twice the price. Still, that's not too terribly bad for a mag drive pump.

Yuri_Rage said:
Well, I have to report similar success on the pump, Seabee. The pump arrived today, and it looks and smells like it was used to pump potting soil in a previous life. The filthy pump head is also cracked, making it quite useless to me at the moment.

However, the motor runs, and i can get a new pump head for about $30! So, I'll have a working March pump at about 1/3 the price of a new one. SCORE!

EDIT:
Well, maybe that pump head will be more like $60. That $27 one posted above is just the outside cover. The entire "wet end" is twice the price. Still, that's not too terribly bad for a mag drive pump.

OK, Maybe our big "SCORE" celebrations may have been a little premature... I received my pump the other day only to find that they don't make a high temp head for my pump... So here's what I figure, I can use the pump to run my ice bath for my IC, OR I can do what ever I deem necessary to clean and sanitize the pump head I have and just take a chance on it being able to handle the temps. I thought about going the "dawn" rout (my pump was used to transfer clean oil) and then use a sanitizer. What do you think?

I figure a good detergent will get rid of the oil...

Back