English Bitter throw it together recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlightyBrewer

Reaction score
Just tasted my second attempt at a light Summer English Bitter, which I threw together from some left over ingredients. It tastes great! :D Here's the recipe (apologies for the metric units, I couldn't be ar$ed to convert!):-

4 kg John Bull Light LME
57g Fuggles Hops (Boiling) - 60 mins
21g Fuggles Hops (Flavour) - 15 mins
14g Cascade Hops (Aroma) - 2 mins
1 Tbsp Irish Moss
Gervin English Ale Yeast (dried)

Boil volume - approx 10 litres
Final volume - 23 litres

O.G. 1.040
F.G. 1.011

Nice English Bitter taste, with a floral aroma from the Cascade hops. I'm chuffed! :D

Named it "Summer Breeze", and my wife designed the label:

What length of time do you have to give a brew such as this in primary/secondary/bottle?

I am looking for a "quick turnaround" brew, such as a 4% ABV bitter.

Thanks
Mike

I think I might try this next. Converting from metirc to SAE is much simpler than the reverse:

9 lbs light LME
2 oz Fuggles Hops (Boiling) - 60 mins
3/4 oz Fuggles Hops (Flavour) - 15 mins
1/2 Cascade Hops (Aroma) - 2 mins
15 ml (not grams) Irish Moss :)

yeah that sounds good. i've got a lot of leftover hops to use, cascade and fuggles being two of them, but im scared of a bitter cause i cant seem to make one thats really good. my last one was overly sweet and malty (i had poor attenuation), with no good hop flavor or bitterness (its supposed to be a bBITTER right?), and on top of it i way underprimed it. must try a bitter again.

mike004 said:
What length of time do you have to give a brew such as this in primary/secondary/bottle?

I am looking for a "quick turnaround" brew, such as a 4% ABV bitter.

Thanks
Mike

About 4-5 days in primary, and two weeks in secondary (although you could reduce this time, but check the Specific Gravity (S.G.) is constant for three consecutive days), and finallly about a week in bottles (depends on your will power!). You could cut out the secondary fermentation for a quick turnaround, but again you need to check that fermentation has finished by checking S.G. before bottling.

Denny's Brew said:
Hey, up here in Canada we use the Canadian metric system.

Lbs
liters
feet/inches
kilometers

basically a strange mix of metric and imperial

You Canadians are confused! ;) Hey, how do you feel about HM The Queen in Canada...I gather there is mixed feelings in Australia, but what about Canada?

I spent about a month in your fair land after receiving my first degree. Travelled from Toronto to Calgary in 56 hours....a nightmare Greyhound bus journey during which I never changed my underware! Boy, new socks never felt so good!

Great country, loved the Rockies, badlands, etc.

Back