HOLIDAY BREW!!! Please help put some bling in it!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
Ok.... the beer is pretty good but still flat... It is a HOLIDAY brew so I have some time.... It has spent 10 days in primary and 8 weeks in secondary... I bottled with 1 cup of Priming sugar..... 2 weeks later almost NO carbonation in the bottle... I mean almost none..... Should I wait another 2 before I fear.... Did yeast die off, ikn the 8 weeks in secondary? Any suggestions. I bought the Holiday from Midwest.

Just looked at my Log, and I am 23 days AFTER I Bottled, and VERY little carbonation... Could yeast of died off?

What temperature are your bottles being stored at while bottle conditioning?? Is this in the ideal temperature range for the yeast you are using?

While carbonating in bottles its important to keep the yeast around the right temperature because If it is too cold the yeast will become dormant and not consume your priming sugar and create the carbonation you want.

If its too cold, try keeping your bottles in a warmer area for 2 weeks and check the carbonation again before worrying too much.

The bottles are being stored in my basement at 68 degrees. All my other beer carbonates fine.... The BIG difference is I let this one sit in the SECONDARY for 8 weeks! Would I get too much yeast die off?? I could bring upstairs but temps are around 74 and I am afraid of getting off flavors.

Leave it be for now. That should be plenty of priming sugar, but the extended secondary may have resulted in a lot of yeast dropping out of solution. The yeast needed to re-propagate, slowing down the carb process. Especially if it was a strong beer, it'll take a lot longer than usual.

Check it in another month and gauge its progress then.

Not abnormal, I had a huge imperial IPA and scotch ale that both took two months to really carb up. Try every 2-3 weeks would be my advice. One day it will be ready to go and it will make it worth the wait. And yeah, when it happened to me I was pretty worried, but patience always seems to pay off with brewing

Not abnormal, I had a huge imperial IPA and scotch ale that both took two months to really carb up. Try every 2-3 weeks would be my advice. One day it will be ready to go and it will make it worth the wait. And yeah, when it happened to me I was pretty worried, but patience always seems to pay off with brewing

+1

I have a Bush De Noel (belgian dark strong) that finished over 11%. They have been bottling conditioning for over 3 months with very little carbonation but they are slowly getting there... give them time. I can't wait for mine to be ready for the dark days of winter :). Keep them a room temp and give them a good shake ever week to re-suspend the yeasties.

Latest posts

Back