Buffalo NY group buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up my grain in Dunkirk. Very nice people. I wish they were closer to me. I'd throw them a lot of my business.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Home Brew mobile app

Good to hear. The distance was the only thing that caused me to hesitate. People seem to be raving about that avantgard malt. I'm definitely curious.

Haven't seen any action in this thread in a while. Whats everyone doing for grain these days ?

Niagara Tradition is having a 10% off sale on Sat. They are also stocking Avangard pils for $55 (introductory price). So you could grab a 55lb sack for 50.

Other than that, I've been buying 10lb sacks at consumers for $13.99. :mad:

Niagara Tradition is having a 10% off sale on Sat. They are also stocking Avangard pils for $55 (introductory price). So you could grab a 55lb sack for 50.

Other than that, I've been buying 10lb sacks at consumers for $13.99. :mad:

I was just there today. I picked up a sack of Pearl and some bulk hops. Their prices are pretty good, especially with the discount.

I was just there today. I picked up a sack of Pearl and some bulk hops. Their prices are pretty good, especially with the discount.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I usually go there and love the customer service. Usually only get to go on Saturday (with the kids) but I always get input when I need some help.

Do all you guys have your own mills? I want to make the transition to AG and would like some input on what you use.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I usually go there and love the customer service. Usually only get to go on Saturday (with the kids) but I always get input when I need some help.

Do all you guys have your own mills? I want to make the transition to AG and would like some input on what you use.

I got a Barley Crusher recently, and have been using it for the past couple batches, and love it. For a long time, I was using a Corona milling station I put together. That milling station is collecting dust right now, I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested.

I find the prices at Niagara on equipment fairly good, I got my mill/carboys etc there, but on grains I think they are a bit high. Esp if you're not buying a bulk sack. I can't wait to see Kegworks' set up and prices, but if the prices on ingrediants are anything like their equipment prices.......

I would love to buy grains locally but is is so much cheaper to buy from MoreBeer and have it delivered for free. I usually order one or two batches of beers worth and it is just over the threshold for free shipping. 10lbs of 2 row is like 11 bucks. And with the new warehouse in Pittsburgh it's sometimes here the next morning if you order early in the day.

I still would like to see a bulk buy but I guess they are done towards the end of winter in anticipation of brewing for the summer season.

I grabbed a sack of the avangard on sat. 55lbs for $50 after the discount. It's no grain buy, buts it's nice to have some bulk base malt again.

I've been tossing around the idea of grabbing the AIH deal on 2.5 gallon kegs. Works out to about 35 a keg when you buy 4. Anyone interested in going in on something like that?

I've been tossing around the idea of grabbing the AIH deal on 2.5 gallon kegs. Works out to about 35 a keg when you buy 4. Anyone interested in going in on something like that?

The 3 gallon pin locks? I was thinking about the 4 for $125 deal but hesitant on pulling the trigger

Yeah, that's the one. I'd love to get 1-2 for small batch brett beers. Let me know if you'd be interested. I'm in no rush, but I expect they'll sell out at some point.

The guy I brew with bought four, I got one as I already had three. Come with new gasket kits, you can't beat that price. I love the 3 gal kegs, they fit on the top shelf in my fridge kegerator. Much more portable if you don't need a full five gallon. I usually will split a batch between two of them. Or as mentioned you can keg 3 gal and bottle the rest if you want.

Hey, is there any group buys running in the next month or so? I got in on the first one when John ran it and i'm running low! :)

Though we're not arranging group buys out of Dunkirk Homebrew, you can still call down there to inquire about what kind of deal you might be able to get on bags of grain. Steve is in shop Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat and is the one who'd be able to determine that. Mention that you were referred from this thread.

So, if you don't want to wait for a buy to come together, and/or want to choose from a larger assortment of grains, take a look at http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/ and see the "Grains by the Bag" page.

Transportation not difficult to work out. It's an easy trip, and we also fairly often have folks in Hamburg on Monday nights. Can bring a few bags up.

I would be interested in a couple of sacks also. I really only brew for myself and company so only go through 30 - 50 lbs a month. So far I've found ordering through MoreBeer at $1.13 a lb, 10lb bag, delivered free ($59 order) the best deal. It is the same price as buying a sack at the local LHBS. I can't imagine shipping being that crazy for a store buying in bulk. My local shop sells a sack of GW 2-row for 60 bucks and a shop in Oregon is selling the same sack for 32 bucks. Grains store fairly well so I would go in for a few sack to help to get a group buy together.

Though we're not arranging group buys out of Dunkirk Homebrew, you can still call down there to inquire about what kind of deal you might be able to get on bags of grain. Steve is in shop Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat and is the one who'd be able to determine that. Mention that you were referred from this thread.

So, if you don't want to wait for a buy to come together, and/or want to choose from a larger assortment of grains, take a look at http://www.dunkirkhomebrew.com/ and see the "Grains by the Bag" page.

Transportation not difficult to work out. It's an easy trip, and we also fairly often have folks in Hamburg on Monday nights. Can bring a few bags up.

I bought from him last time. Very nice guy.

I have a good sized SUV. I'd be willing to haul a bunch of sacks from Dunkirk if there is a need.

Maybe we can get a count of what people want and see what kind of price we can get based on that?

I'll tally it up and make the call unless someone else wants to do it. No guarantee that it will work, but we can ask - right?

I'd say for simplicity's sake, we keep it to full sacks. If people want to split them up, they can do that on their own.

Anyone interested can PM me.

Hey, I have an extra sack of 2-Row from a recent bulk buy that I can't see myself using in the next 6-8 months, and I need to downsize for an upcoming move, so I'm willing to sell it to anyone here who is interested. I will part with it for $40. PM me if you're interested.

I bought from him last time. Very nice guy.

I have a good sized SUV. I'd be willing to haul a bunch of sacks from Dunkirk if there is a need.

Maybe we can get a count of what people want and see what kind of price we can get based on that?

I'll tally it up and make the call unless someone else wants to do it. No guarantee that it will work, but we can ask - right?

I'd say for simplicity's sake, we keep it to full sacks. If people want to split them up, they can do that on their own.

Anyone interested can PM me.

So far I've heard from one person.

At this point I'm just gauging interest. I'm not planning on making any phone calls unless I have a rough count to work with.

Anyone else interested?

I've got a good supply of pils and wheat right now. But I'll be ready to stock up again in a few months time. Maybe we can arrange a summer buy.

Does anyone have a ball park price on say 2-row from a group buy? I just got a mill so i can store whole grain which is supposed to last a lot longer than milled. I would definitely be interested in a few sacks of my mainstays if the price is good when all expenses are factored in.

Does anyone have a ball park price on say 2-row from a group buy? I just got a mill so i can store whole grain which is supposed to last a lot longer than milled. I would definitely be interested in a few sacks of my mainstays if the price is good when all expenses are factored in.

I think I paid $35 inc shipping for a 50lb sack of 2 row last group buy... I'm not sure if that's the typical price. And yeah, unmilled should last a years and years if stored dry and cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It usually works out to about $35-40 shipped for a sack of domestic 2-row. Unmilled grain will stay good for a while- I've used grain over 18 months old without issues.

Thanks guys. At a retail price buying a sack of 2-row just just can't beat mail order. I hate not to support the local guys but at 1.20 a pound and 1.99 a pound for 1 pounders it just doesn't make sense not to buy on-line. I did buy carboys, my mill and incidentals locally to support. I can go to $56 on a 50 sack then it is almost the same price (1.12) per pound of mail-order with shipping. I would go in for 2 sacks of 2-row and ride shotgun if needed for company and help loading. Has anyone ever asked local kraft breweries (Community, Resurgence, OFW) if we could tag on to one of their orders? I don't know what we could do for them other than support...

Thanks guys. At a retail price buying a sack of 2-row just just can't beat mail order. I hate not to support the local guys but at 1.20 a pound and 1.99 a pound for 1 pounders it just doesn't make sense not to buy on-line. I did buy carboys, my mill and incidentals locally to support. I can go to $56 on a 50 sack then it is almost the same price (1.12) per pound of mail-order with shipping. I would go in for 2 sacks of 2-row and ride shotgun if needed for company and help loading. Has anyone ever asked local kraft breweries (Community, Resurgence, OFW) if we could tag on to one of their orders? I don't know what we could do for them other than support...

I talked to CBW but they said they couldn't take on any grain buys at the moment. I think they have a pretty good relationship with the Niagara Association and NT homebrew, so they don't want to upset anyone.

Why don't we start a running list for a trip to Dunkirk in, say, mid July? Or if John is able to offer his group buy again by then we'll already be organized.

Can I ask where are you ordering from? I'm having a hard time finding mail order places that aren't just as expensive as the local guys.

Check out MoreBeer. You can get 2-row from them for only $1.12/lb and wheat malt for only $1.21/lb. All of their other grains are on-par with local offerings price-wise. The key is to order in 10-lb bags instead of a full sack- that way you can take advantage of their free shipping-over-$59 deal.

Order 5 10-lb bags of 2-row, add in $3+ of bottle caps or StarSan, and you get it shipped to your house for free. And since they added their warehouse in PA, your order only takes 1-2 days in the mail.

Other online stores may charge less for grains, but MoreBeer's free shipping policy blows them out of the water.

Great Western doesn't seem to be available around here and is one of the cheapest grains to brew with. You can get a 50 of Great Western 2-row delivered from MoreBeer for $51 (35.99 and 14.94 Ship.) So it seems kind of crazy all the effort trying to get someone to be reasonable in a bulk buy. I guess the days of a pallet drop are over. Start hoping for a micro-maltster in the area.

Oh and water is coming up to temp for the Haus Kolsch. It's a brew day!!!

If anyone is interested Rebel Brewer is offering $5 flat rate shipping through today. I think you need to order $60 worth of stuff. I ordered 50 lbs of Avangard Pale Malt and a 4 smack packs of yeast. The malt was $49.50 plus the $5 shipping. No too bad of a price.

Just saw the post today (b-boy!) And I placed an order to MoreBeer late night on the 10th! (I ordered 33 lbs of grains, 8 oz of assorted hops, 2 packs of yeast and some yeast nutrient. It came to just over $60 delivered.) My keezer is almost empty. I don't know how that happened. I actually went to Flying Bison to get a corny filled. Arts Festival weekend here in Allentown and I don't want to be without beer! And wow the pallets of Muntons etc there.

I could definitely get into this, if it didn't require driving to P-burgh. I've a buddy that brews too I can talk to about going in on it together. We likely wouldn't need TOO much but would be nice to do for sure if its not astronomically expensive.

If you signup using the link they will give you access to their group buy website. It's very well done. You can see prices there.

I already made sure they were OK with me participating. They said they've had people from Buffalo in their buys in the past.

I just ordered 4 sacks, so I will definitley be making the trip. I have a Honda Element, so I have room for a few more sacks. With my seats down I couid easity handle another 10 sacks - if not more.

This probably is not the place to do it, but I've tried through the clubs forum and received no answers. If anyone has a Buffalo group of brewers or some sort of thing, hit me up. Would love to get to know some local brewers.

This probably is not the place to do it, but I've tried through the clubs forum and received no answers. If anyone has a Buffalo group of brewers or some sort of thing, hit me up. Would love to get to know some local brewers.

I don't have a club, but I do brew with a few guys. You're always welcome to stop by during one of our brew sessions if you're interested. There is always plenty to drink. :D

We try to get some interesting beers whenever we brew, so chances are there will be something you've never tried before.

Back