MoreBeer Counterpressure Filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamest22

Reaction score
I'm looking at this bottle filler:
https://morebeer.com/view_product/8948/102289/Counter_Pressure_Bottle_Filler_substitute_for_KEG801

I am looking at CP bottle fillers instead of the Beergun because to me, the CP fillers seem to have an inherent advantage due the fact they actually fill the bottle under pressure.

I have been filling bottles using the racking cane/stopper in a cobra tap but the last batch I bottled was not carbonated enough. When I pop the tops a barely get a hiss. I did not chill the bottles before filling though, could this be the problem?

My questions are:

1) can the stopper height be adjusted to accommodate different sized bottles?

2) Does anyone have this filler? How do you like it?

3) could failing to pre-chill the bottles before filling be the cause of my low carbonation?

Not chilling the bottles will tend to reduce the carb you get in the bottle. I slightly over-carb and chill the bottles and don't even use the stopper. Just stick the wand down in the bottle and fill slowly, cap on foam.

Chilling the bottles only really helps minimize the foaming. I suppose you could be losing some carbonation if your current set up is producing a lot of foam though.

I have and use the MoreBeer filler. The stopper is set against a small stainless host clamp. You can move that clamp a little to move the stopper up and down. More than likely though, if you're using a 22oz bottle or something taller, you would either need a short piece of tubing to help you reach the bottom of the bottle or just deal with the short tube. If you're using a shorter bottle (e.g. Sierra Nevada bottle), it's a little touch. You could cut the tube, if you really wanted.

The filler works fine. It's all stainless, which is nice, but I think most are now. It does what I need it to do. It took a little practice to get used to how it worked (to not spray beer all over the room), but I'm pretty decent at it now.

I would be using a mixture of normal 12oz bottles and shorter 12oz sierra Nevada bottles and maybe a 22oz every now and then. Sounds like I would just need to adjust the hose clamp to lower the stopper for the Sierra Nevada bottles. I wouldn't want to cut the tube.

I am not getting much foaming with my current bottling method, but I still am not getting great carbonation.

when you guys pop the top on a bottle filled from the keg, do you get a 'hiss' of the same strength as you would expect with a bottle conditioned beer?

when you guys pop the top on a bottle filled from the keg, do you get a 'hiss' of the same strength as you would expect with a bottle conditioned beer?
No but the main reason for that is that I fill the bottles quite a bit more. Less headspace = less volume of gas to release.

I typ use glasses with etching on the bottom so I get a visual indication of the carb level in addition to what I taste. The way I see it, if it's a little over-carbed that can be dealt with post-pour, undercarbed and you got what you got.

When I decide to bottle I reduce the temp on my keezer a day or so in advance...but I keep the pressure the same. I set it to like 33-34* F or so. That right there adds a little extra carbonation.

I love the one hand operation of the beer gun. It has never let me down carbonation is spot on every time. I just cracked a RIS that I bottled 16 months ago and it had perfect carbonation.

i'm starting to think that perhaps my beer is not carbed good enough to being with.

Go fill one. Put it in the fridge for like 24 hours for everything to equilibriate and then pour it side-by-side with one from the keg. I have noticed that mine don't hiss when I open and I think that is b/c American microbrew tend to be fairly well carbonated and I think I tend to not go that high (I usually just carbonate to taste). I would not worry about the hiss, but more so just evaluate if the beers from the bottles you have filled are at the carbonation level you want (and if there is in fact any loss). If you are not seeing foam you are not losing that much carbonation on the fill. Yes, you will re-equilibrate to fill the headspace, but you are not avoiding that issue with a counter pressure filler. The counter pressure will only prevent CO2 loss in the fill. One way to avoid the loss to the head space is to fill to the very top.

Search for the BMBF and save yourself some money....

Did you read the original post?

I know it is an old thread, but would someone be so kind to measure SS tube OD and ID on Morebeer CPBF?

Thanks!

Back