Measuring yeast volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I have a collection of Yeast slurry (Nottingham) which I would like to make a starter from.

Can anyone suggest a measuring instrument to get the right amount of yeast for the 1L starter for a 1050 Ale ? I have read where some folks just wing it, but I would prefer not to (smile) ..

I was thinking a graduated cylinder, (if so, where is the best place to get one?) and assume a 80% viability for the yeast (it was washed and is less than 1 week old) ... I was thinking I would measure off the amount equal to abt 1 vial of White labs yeast ..(does anyone know what that amt is ? )...I know that there are some assumptions here, making this something of a black art ..

I figure if I am going to the trouble of making a starter for proper pitch rate, I might as well start with the right amount!

THX

many use about 250 billion cells or ~8 oz of slurry. Notty is dirt cheap so always use fresh and only wash the WL yeast, so I have no experience with it.

Latest posts

Back