Graff Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
After making up a batch of Brandon O's delicious Graff, I'd like to make an attempt at my own version. This will be based off the fictitious drink from Stephen King's Dark Tower books, rather then just being named after it.

I haven't personally read the books, but many of my friends have, and my band has a few songs about them. One of my friends told me "...in the town of River Crossing they serve 'a good strong graff' to the gunsliger and company with the last real meal they eat before a long journey through the Wastelands." This makes me think it's fairly alcoholic and robust.

I've never made a stout of any kind before, so please constructively critique my recipe. This will be an extract batch w/ steeping grains as I'm still pretty new to things. Also - I have no idea what kind of yeast I should be using.

2.5 Gal Apple Juice

3 Gal Boil:
3.3 lbs Dark LME
3/4 lb Black Patent
1 lb 120L Crystal
2 oz Tort. Wheat
1/2 lb Roasted Barley

1.5 oz 7-9 AA% hops @ 60
1 oz 7-9 AA% hops @20

Thoughts??

For what it's worth, I just drank the first "test" (one week carbed) bottle of this. This stuff is delicious, and I can only see it getting better with a little time. The apple isn't too overpowering at all and plays it's role just fine. With a little more fine-tuning, I think this could be a great drink. I'd like to work on head stability and get a little more body out of it. Here's the recipe I rolled with:

Gunslinger's Graff

60 min boil

Steep the following in 4 gallons 150* water for 45 min:
3.3 lbs Amber LME
2 oz Tortified Wheat
1 lb Crystal 120
3/4 lb Black Patent 450
.5 lb Roasted Barley 300
.5 lb Smoked Malt 5

1 oz 9.7 Centennial (60)
.5 oz 7.5 Cascade (60)
1.5 oz 7.5 Cascade (60)

Top off with 2.75 Gallons apple juice.

Pitch US-05.

OG 1.056

Carbed with Cooper's tablets.

I know, digging up an old thread. But I wanted to know what was your FG? How was the bitterness?

Sounds like a pre-made half & half (stout & cider)

Are you adding all these hops together at the beginning of the 60 minute boil? Also, is this too many hops?

Back