Why Lhbs, Why?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Weasel

Reaction score
WHY are all of my LHBS' closed on Sundays?!?!?! Most of us work all week and only have Saturday or Sunday to get our shopping done. Other things often tie me up on Saturdays including working a second job. Sometimes Sunday is my only day to get a little fun in my week.

You would think that a business that caters to a hobby would be open on the weekend, including Sunday. If you need another day off, might I suggest Mondays? It must be causing them business. If I have to do that much planning to buy homebrew gear and ingredients I will just buy online. I would actually gladly pay the retail bump if I could go to these places on a Sunday.

What gives?!?!? </rant>

Dude, that sucks.

My LHBS is mediocre on a good day and overpriced everyday, but at least they open for a few hours on Sunday.

Most of them are mom-and-pop places, with the owner and his/her spouse being the only employees. They gotta have lives, too. One just opened in my little town. The owner works full-time and runs his shop, at least till things get rolling. He is only open Wed thru Sat, 11-6. I've no problem with it.
It takes 3-4 days to make a starter anyway, so I don't understand how it matters. If you are brewing on Sunday, you make your starter on Wed or Thursday at the latest, and the store is open those days. So what's the big deal?

Lucky in the Seattle area I have a couple stores with some Sunday hours.

Why don't you try suggesting to the owner that he open on a Sunday say 10-4 or something like that and close up on Monday instead. Try to sell him on the fact he should see more weekend sales.

You should make friends with the owner and offer to open the store for him for a couple hours on Saturday. That way you can shop while you work. I have a feeling you might see some of you purchased costing you free since I am sure you are not the only one that wants to buy on Saturdays.

+1 to Bernie.

Your avatar says Northern Illinois. Where are you shopping? I work a few hours at the St. Charles shop, so I know that the shop is closed on Sundays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Homebrewing is slower in the summer.

Personally Id rather plan ahead and shop locally. I have a rapport with all three shops in my area and Im proud to support them.

Lastly, Im usually brewing on Sunday very early in the morning so I better have everything I need already!

Mine is a liquor store with a homebrew section, so they are closed until noon.

On the upside free beer an wine tastings on Saturday.

Mine is about 1.5 hours away, so it's basically closed every day that I don't just happen to be in Grand Rapids! You know they have store online that are really pretty very inexpensive and they can be convenient too. Right, Forrest?

Closed on Sunday is crazy for this hobby. I'm guessing he is a staunch Christian.

Convert him to Judaism, or better still, The Church of the FSM. ;)

BWAHAHAHA ...sorry, just imagining a Mormon owning a HBS.

It surprises me that they'd be closed on Sundays. My HBS is open for normal hours on Saturdays and IIRC 10-4 on Sundays. They do the bulk of their business on those two days.

The ones here are closed on Sunday also - very annoying. It always seems to happen that I get ready to brew on Sunday and I'm missing something or something breaks. I suppose ultimately they don't LOSE that money because I'm still going to buy whatever it was (unless I decide to order online but I don't very often.) I also think if I had the option of doing an impulse brew on Sunday afternoon I would do it sometimes.

And Bernie - dry yeast doesn't need a starter :)

I generally don't need to BUY anything on Sunday to BREW with on Sunday (I generally plan ahead better), but if I can get out to get supplies or ingredients for future brews, Sundays are often the only day when I have any time to myself to get things like that done. We have a Health Food Store in Crystal Lake that has a small but nice selection and there is always Brew and Grow (preferred) in Roselle but again, no Sunday hours and if I get out of work at 5:30, getting there before they close isn't likely going to happen, especially when playing child chauffeur etc.

One of the local places is closed on Sundays (and fairly early on Saturday); the other closes maybe three or four days a year. Seems to make the most sense if you're in the HBS business to plan on Monday/Tuesday being your weekend, eh?

What pisses me off even more is the local hardware shop that's closed on Sundays (and half of Saturday). I've spend hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dollars at the big box stores that I would have rather spend locally - but they're never ****ing open when I need them to be! They're usually closed before I drive home in the week, too.

Hell, if they don't want my business, if they want to ONLY cater to the contractors, that's fine - I'm not inconviencing myself for them! Hell, there's a Lowe's going in across the street from them (soon, I hope); they're pretty much toast.

...and if I get out of work at 5:30, getting there before they close isn't likely going to happen, especially when playing child chauffeur etc.

That was what I was forgetting...this place also closes at 6 during the week. That part isn't bad for me since I get out of work at 4:00, but I imagine many folks have to rush over from work to get there before they closes. I just don't get it, but they've been in business since 1918 so they are doing something right.

My lhbs is open 7 days a week, weekdays until 6:00 too (not that I work a 9-5 job anyways)

inorite? Mine's closed on Sun and Wed, and the days they are open all have different hours. I need to build a stonehenge in my yard to track when they'll be open.

Mine is open saturday until 12 and that is it but at $4.50 for an ounce of 2007 hops, I pass on going there anyways.

I would love to support local business but not if they are not going to provide a good service with decent quality and selection at a decent price. Ours has outrageous prices.

inorite? Mine's closed on Sun and Wed, and the days they are open all have different hours. I need to build a stonehenge in my yard to track when they'll be open.

The place a buy my dogs food at is like that, craaaazy hours. I hate it as a customer, I'd hate it even more as an employee though.

Back