First Real IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Hey folks, my first brew ever was a Brewers Best IPA...Minimal hops, no dry hopping...It didnt really seem like a real IPA. I'm finally brewing up my second IPA and got all the ingredients around for tonight. Of course, as is often the case, the LHBS hop selection was limited today. I am brewing this recipe posted by brewt001:

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: US05
Yeast Starter: NA
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: NA
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 116
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 9.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

Stone Ruination IPA Redux PM

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 79.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 243.28 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.073 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 10.0 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 7.19% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 115.67 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
8.5 lbs Pale Liquid
2.25 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
1 oz Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 min
1 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter for 10-14 days

So the store was out of Centennial hops in pellet form so here is what I have:

1oz-Colubus pellet (bittering)
3oz-Centennial leaf hops
1oz Cascade leaf

I don't have a vacuum packer to store the left over 1/2 ounce of hops for dry hopping so I was thinking about dry hopping with the full ounce of Cascade and using a half ounce less hops in the boil? Thoughts?

I've never used leaf hops before so I'm excited so see what kind of results I get and to smell these glorious hops!

I don't have a vacuum packer to store the left over 1/2 ounce of hops for dry hopping so I was thinking about dry hopping with the full ounce of Cascade and using a half ounce less hops in the boil? Thoughts?

Just add 1 oz. of Centennial and 1/2 oz. of Cascade for the 5 minute addition, then dry hop with the remaining 1/2 oz. of Cascade. This will get you very close to what the original recipe calls for.

...and just store the left over 1/2 ounce of leaf cascade in a ziplock in the freezer until its time to dry hop?

Yes. Storing hops for a long period of time would require oxygen barrier and/or vacuum sealed bags but your not going to keep those in the freezer very long.

BTW, that's a big beer. I'd personally pitch two packets of rehydrated US-05.

Thanks for the response Hooter. Just began my mash. I'm bummed... I asked the LHBS employee if I should pitch two and he thought one would be fine...Any harm in pitching tonight as planned and adding a second pack tomorrow?? Probably about 12 hours later....

Pitch one. I would definitely rehydrate though. You should have visible signs of fermentation sometime tomorrow. If all goes well (which I'm sure it will) one pack will be fine.

Giggidy Giggidy Goo!! :mug:

Yeast is pitched and the fermenter is in a big tub of water to keep from over heating. SG=1.070. Hopefully that one pack of S-05 will do the trick.

I can't say Im the biggest fan of leaf hops. Do most people filter out the hops when then transfer from kettle to primary? I strained them out with not much of a issue, just a little bit messier then with pellet hops. My hydro sample was not as hoppy as I was expecting, but hopefully all those hops will come through in the finished product. Good brew day!

Right on! :rockin:

Your hydro sample right after the boil is very sweet and not even close to what the beer will taste like after all is said and done.

You may want to keep the fermenter warm (low 70's) until fermentation starts, then drop the temp into the low 60's. Ideal fermentation temp is in the mid 60's (the fermentation temp will be about 5 degrees warmer than ambient temp during vigorous fermentation). Controlling fermentation temps is crucial to making good beer.

Back