Is the Janet's Brown AG kit at Morebeer correct???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
So I got the Janet's Brown AG kit at morebeer and was admiring how much stuff came with the kit. It's huge! If you look here the recipe states 5 gallons in the description.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/11919/102191/Janets_Brown_Ale_-_All_Grain_Beer_Kit#description

...and then states nothing in the recipe (click documents and then recipe to download).

It's way over the OG in the brewer's friend calculator though. So I fiddled around and checked to find that it must be 7 gallons instead (wlp001 and 75% mash).

219djk2.jpg

Any ideas what's going on?

...in brewing classic styles, janets recipe is for 7 gallons preboil with a net of 6 gallons post boil

Yeah I've read recipes for JB with nearly identical ingredients to this kit for 6 gallons, but how does 6 gallons get to 1.060-1.065 OG with 15.75 lbs of grains?

I plan to make the 6 gallon batch with an estimated OG of 1.072 at 75%. 80% will get 1.076. This doesn't add up.:confused:

B3's recipes assume 70% efficiency. So ~15.75*36ppg*.7 eff= 1.066 and 6 gallons post boil. A lot of their recipe kits are written a little sloppy.

B3's recipes assume 70% efficiency. So ~15.75*36ppg*.7 eff= 1.066 and 6 gallons post boil. A lot of their recipe kits are written a little sloppy.

Nice! That's good enough for me, 6 gals is the plan. I guess I'll bottle the leftovers from the corny.:mug:

Back