Kegging and bottling a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwarren66

Reaction score
I keg all of my beer, but I want to also bottle a 6 or 12 pack for gifts, travel, etc. I don't want to go from keg to bottle, but rather bottle condition the 6 or 12.

I'm looking for the easiest way to accomplish this, and here's my plan:

Attach bottle filler (with the auto shutoff thing) to the end of my siphon hose. Put carbonation tabs in bottles, fill bottles, and then just move to the keg (with bottle filler still attached). I'll then just keep the bottle filler against the bottom of the keg so it continues the siphon.

Is there any disadvantage to doing it this way? I don't want to restart the siphon, which I would need to do if I removed the bottle filler attachment before moving to the keg.

Any thoughts on this process?

That will work, but it will be very hard to hold the bottle filler to the bottom of the keg once it fills up about 1/2 way. I mean, the level of the beer will be above the wand. How do you plan on holding to the bottom?

I've done it sort of like that- what I did was prime the whole batch, racked into my bottling bucket, and used the tubing attached to my spigot on my bottling bucket. That was super easy, and when the bottles were filled, I moved on and filled the keg. Or, fill the keg first, and then add the bottling wand to finish with the bottles.

A bottling bucket (even if you're only bottling a few) makes it easier.

Good point regarding holding the wand. That won't be easy.

Just to make sure I understand, can I do either of the following options?

1) Mix up a priming batch for 5 gallons, put in bottling bucket. Rack beer to bottling bucket. Connect tubing with bottling attachment to spigot and fill bottles. Remove attachment, fill keg with same tubing.

2) Rack beer to bottling bucket. Connect tubing with bottling attachment to spigot and fill bottles that have carb tabs. Remove attachment, fill keg with same tubing.

I've never primed a batch that I kegged. Are there any good / bad side effects of doing so? I've always just put it on gas at serving pressure and let it sit for a week.

I'd prefer to omit the step of making the priming solution if it's not necessary. I know the tabs cost more, but I'm willing to pay for the convenience since I'm only bottling small quantities.

Thanks

Back