07 Utopias

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Anyone have a bottle of this? The reason I'm asking is I just received my 07 bottle and compared to the previous years (3 other bottles), the bottle itself looks like crap (colors are really faded). I know they made more bottles this year so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Sorry to respond to my own post but I had to share this bit of stupidity. The Utopias this year includes a free glass offer. You get a coupon with the bottle, go to their site, and they send you the glass. I just received an e-mail from Sam Adams stating that several states, including Virginia, have made it illegal for SA to even SEND THE DAMN GLASS to any resident... apparently because it's associated with the Utopias product. My tax dollars at work... lol.

I know that Santa is bringing me an 07 bottle of Utopias. I snuck a peek at the bottle and it did look "rustic", and had some sliding windows of some sort on the bottle, but other than that, since it's the first time I've seen a bottle of it in person, I can't really speak much on it. Therefore this post is pointless (other than my gleeful boast of having a bottle of it).

:mug:

Nate said:
Sorry to respond to my own post but I had to share this bit of stupidity. The Utopias this year includes a free glass offer. You get a coupon with the bottle, go to their site, and they send you the glass. I just received an e-mail from Sam Adams stating that several states, including Virginia, have made it illegal for SA to even SEND THE DAMN GLASS to any resident... apparently because it's associated with the Utopias product. My tax dollars at work... lol.
I'll be more than happt to help yah out, just have them send it to me ;)

I don't have anything to compare the bottle to, but it looked to me like they were going for that burnished look.

As for the glass not being sent because the beer is illegal, I think that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Yeah, pretty incredible. For those of you still looking for Utopias, eBay has tons of them. I looked at the 07 bottle again and it's definitely not as nice as previous years.

If the BATF (or Virginia ABC) is reading this, all this is purely theoretical and there's no way I would ever actually have any of this highly dangerous substance in Virginia.

Man, I was laughed at when I called around to my old bottle shops in VA asking if they had the Utopias. I even tried using my connections through work to score a bottle. Saddly, most of our distributors only do wine/spirits and those that do beer are in states you can't get Utopias....

Kilted Brewer said:
Man, I was laughed at when I called around to my old bottle shops in VA asking if they had the Utopias. I even tried using my connections through work to score a bottle. Saddly, most of our distributors only do wine/spirits and those that do beer are in states you can't get Utopias....

Virginia alcohol laws are pretty Draconian. What's funny is that I read somewhere that we were still one of the top moonshine producers. :D

PseudoChef said:
Like someone said above, if you can somehow ship it to me (TN) I would gladly ship it to you. Just tryin' to help a brotha' out.

Very much appreciate the offers. As usual, the people on this site are awesome. I'm going to have it shipped to a family member out of state and they're going to ship it back to me. Again, all of this is purely theoretical (the "beer glass underground railroad").

Getting a glass should never require that much work. I'd do the same thing if i was in your position though :mug:

freyguy said:
With the sliding doors on the bottle, is it supposed to look like a mash tun or kettle? Just me thining out loud.

We're actually talking about a different glass. The one you're referring to is the one that the actual beer comes in and that's supposed to be a brew kettle.

my cousin owns a liquor store here in MA. Last time I was there, I was buying some SA Winter Lager and we got to talking about beer (even though hes more of a wine connoisseur). Once we started talking about the 07 Utopias, he told me he could buy them from SA for 110 bucks, but would sell it to me for 175! Glad that a profit is thicker than blood..

have you guys gotten to try this year's Utopia yet? supposedly it was blended with much better aged "beer" than previous batches

Oh and is this really beer or malt wine? 27ABV with little to no hops (as I have heard) doesn't sound like a beer to me..

I don't really get the fuss about the Utopia. I've tried it a few times and for all the taste you get out of it, why not just sip on a little whiskey and water? The alcohol overpowers any other flavor. There is a little sweetness behind it on the back of your tongue when you savor it for a moment, but thats really it.

Its a cool bottle and a nice collectable and all, but I don't understand the fuss.

Does anyone actually really enjoy a few ounces of it over say a nice premium strong Ale?

Nate said:
Virginia alcohol laws are pretty Draconian. What's funny is that I read somewhere that we were still one of the top moonshine producers. :D

They are still better than North Carolina's......We can't even get World Wide Stout or Dogfish 120's :mad:

Back