Wine secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonbear

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at wine we are using a coastal red wine kit how important is it to do a secondary? I don't usually do that with my beer and it comes out fine, this is my wife's first attempt art home brew I hope it runs out good :)

Never have I made wine without a secondary so I'm not sure what the result would be. I'd assume if you were to just use a pail by the time it was clarified it would have oxidized slightly and taken on flavor from the yeast bed.

For a wine kit, follow the directions to the letter. I believe most kits recommend a secondary / clarification stage (all mine did) at about the 14 day period, when primary fermentation is complete. You will want a secondary to 1)remove the lees (dead yeast) and 2) to make your beer clear. You can also do another racking if you are stll seeing a lot of crap at the bottom of your secondary. Not a bad idea to fill any headspace with CO2, to prevent oxidation.

You honestly need a secondary container to transfer/rack the wine to. Completely different than beer making. Typically use open top bucket for first few days and as directions indicate transfer to carboy when you reach a target S.G., and then periodically rack as time goes on.

Back